Pack student-athletes guests for NCAA conference

Colorado State University-Pueblo men’s basketball player Ken Moses (Jr. – Honolulu, Hawaii) and women’s cross country athlete, Lindsey Herrera (Sr. – Pueblo West, Colo.), have been selected by the NCAA to represent CSU-Pueblo at the 2008 National Student-Athlete Development Conference, which takes place from May 27-29.Moses and Herrera will be among over 700 student-athletes from institutions across the nation to spend three days in Lake Buena Vista, Florida discussing their experiences on campus, and enhancing their leadership, communication, decision-making and problem solving skills.

Both Moses and Herrera are active in the Student Athlete Advisory Committee and are active in community service projects for CSU-Pueblo athletics. Herrera was the recipient of the STAR award for logging the most community service hours of any CSU-Pueblo student-athlete. CSU-Pueblo athletic director, Joe Folda, said Moses and Herrera are indicative of the kind of student-athlete that CSU-Pueblo produces.

“Ken and Lindsey have always been great representatives of their programs and the athletic department as a whole,” Folda said. “The entire athletic department and the campus community is excited for them and this opportunity.”

Formerly called the NCAA Student-Athlete Leadership Conference, the new Development Conference has doubled the number of student-athletes who attend from 350 to more than 700. The switch to a Development Conference is linked to the NCAA core purpose that the educational experience of student-athletes is paramount. The conference is structured to enhance the skill set and knowledge base of student-athletes, and this year’s curriculum will give the student-athletes more of a voice during the event.

The conference will be conducted in two sessions, the first May 25-27, with the second scheduled for May 27-29. Student-athletes from the America-Israel Friendship League will also participate in the activities at this year’s conference. Over the past 12 years, the conference has hosted more than 3,500 student-athletes and trained more than 300 athletic facilitators.

“The purpose of the 2008 National Student-Athlete Development Conference is to help the student-athletes find their voice in order to shape their future, make a commitment to lead on campus and in the community, strengthen the voice of the conference and national Student Athlete Advisory Committee and provide a process to develop a network with other student-athletes who are motivated to create significant, dramatic and positive change,” said Robert Vowels, vice-president of education services at the NCAA.