• The Creative Experience - coming to Fuel & Iron Food Hall from 7 p.m. - 9 p.m. Thursday 6/27. Join us for an evening of poetry, art, and music!

ThunderWolves win with double-overtime buzzer beater

The men’s basketball game between CSU-Pueblo and Adams State College Feb. 11, ended in slow motion.  Falling backwards, Pack senior Ty Trahern threw up a desperate three-point shot in double-overtime. With no time left on the clock, he watched it go through the basket and the crowd watched as CSU-Pueblo won the game 99-98.

Ty Trahern shoots a basket against Fort Lewis Feb. 11. Photo by Tyler Shomaker.
Trahern’s desperation shot almost mirrored how the fist overtime ended. With one second left, Pack junior Bryse Velasquez scored a three-point shot to tie the game, and forced a second overtime.

“I feel great,” Trahern said. “I have never had a game like that in my life. I’ve been here for five years and this is the greatest feeling I’ve had since I’ve been here.”

The game started with Adams State pulling away with an early lead. The Grizzlies had the lead through the entire game of regulation. While CSU-Pueblo kept applying pressure to the Adams State offense, the Grizzlies looked to have the edge over the ThunderWolves. With foul trouble coming early for the Pack, key players, like senior Andre Martin, were forced to sit out.

While Adams State continued to outshoot the ThunderWolves, CSU-Pueblo caught a break when the Grizzlies racked up fouls that brought the Pack back into the game. The calls were not without controversy however, as coaches from Adams State began screaming and taunting the refs. 

CSU-Pueblo was led in scoring by Trahern with a career-high 34 points. Velasquez ended the night with 22 points and six assists. The ThunderWolves are now 12-10 overall and 9-9 in the RMAC. The Pack will take on Nebraska-Kearney Feb. 17.