Candidates interview for dean position of business school

Two candidates for the dean of Hasan School of Business at Colorado State University-Pueblo interviewed individually on campus last week, but the decision has not yet been made.

Photo courtesy of the Hasan School of Business' website.

Clifford Nowell, associate dean of John B. Goddard School of Business and Economics at the Weber State University in Ogden, Utah, interviewed Monday, March 19. Bruce Raymond, associate dean for administration and finance at the Montana State University College of Business interviewed Friday, March 23.

The candidates each had a day touring campus, meeting with other academic deans, the provost and HSB faculty and staff.

“The dean has the obligation to create a culture where faculty are fulfilled by what they do,” Raymond said in the interview with HSB faculty and staff.

The HSB provides undergraduate and graduate business education. It consists of 24 full-time faculty and serves more than 700 students, according to the CSU-Pueblo press release. Sue Hanks currently serves as the interim dean since the fall of 2011.

The dean of HSB is expected to provide leadership and administration to the faculty, staff and students of HSB.

The dean also has the responsibilities such as fostering teaching, researching and service to the campus and community; overseeing the education within the school; and maintaining its accreditation by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, a premier non-profit international accreditation organization in business education.

In order to help maintain the accreditation as the dean, candidates are required to have comprehensive knowledge of the AACSB standards, according to the job description CSU-Pueblo’s Human Resources Office posted on the website www.higheredjobs.com.

“I’m intimately familiar with AACSB standards,” Raymond said. CSU-Pueblo is a solid school for the accreditation, he said.

The dean will have an annual salary in a range from $140,000 to $150,000, according to the job description, which is the highest salary among all deans in the four colleges and schools of CSU-Pueblo.

Nowell received his Doctor of Philosophy in Economics from the University of Wyoming in 1988. After graduation, he became an assistant professor in Economics at Weber State College, which gained university status as Weber State University in 1991. He worked his way up and has served as the associate dean at the university since 2011.

His fields of specialization include applied microeconomic theory and applied econometrics. His teaching experience includes managerial economics, business statistics, econometrics and public finance, among others.

Raymond received his Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Utah in 1987 in the field of production and operations management. He has taught for various universities including University of Utah, University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh and MSU. 

He served positions in various accreditation organizations such as the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities and Northwest Association of Schools and College.

He also served as the accreditation director for AACSB from 1995 to 2003 and the team member from 2006 to 2007.