CSU-Pueblo and PCC celebrate 75th anniversary of higher education

Colorado State University-Pueblo and Pueblo Community College gear up for an all-day celebration at PCC campus on Sunday July 13, 2008 to commemorate the 75th anniversary of providing higher education in the Southern Colorado region.

The two schools have a number of activities planned for the event.

Attendees can expect to watch or participate in the two-mile walk/run being held at 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. Partakers will start on Orman Avenue and finish at the PCC campus. Afterwards, aawards will be given to the racers. Pre-registration costs $17.50 and race day registration is $23. Racers will receive a tee shirt for participating.

Guests can receive a pancake breakfast from 8:00-10:00 a.m. Pancakes cost $.75 each, but beverages will be provided for them. Participants in the walk/run eat free. Also during and after the breakfast hours, the colleges have booked live entertainment for the visitors.

CSU-Pueblo and PCC have provided activities so everyone has a little something to enjoy. At the anniversary, there will be vintage cars on display from 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Representatives from the automotive departments from both colleges will be there to answer questions.

A barbecue lunch from Texas Roadhouse costs $1.75 per-person and is served from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Guest can choose from a variety of meals to satisfy their hunger.

An art show will be held in the PCC art gallery showcasing current students displays and featuring work done by former faculty members of the art department. The exhibit opens at 10:00 a.m. and closes at 3:00 p.m. A reception is planned from 5:00-6:00 p.m. where members of the community can ask the artists are questions about their work.

Throughout the day, the public will have the opportunity to learn about the history of the PCC campus. Factual, displays will be set up around the campus in an effort to educate guests. Guest speakers are going to talk about the two schools through the decades. For people wanting to be active, but still learn about the history of the schools, a historical bike tour around the neighborhood is planned.

Throughout the day, visitors can buy raffle tickets from The Classified Staff Council who are raffling off a commemorative 73″ X 88″ 75th anniversary quilt made by CSU-Pueblo employees, Vicki Pfeiffer and Shirley Duran. Proceeds from the raffle will go to the Classified Staff Council Scholarship Fund at CSU-Pueblo.

Both CSU-Pueblo and PCC expect people of all ages to be entertained. They’re hoping recreational activities, art, award ceremonies, food, sports, education, wine testing, a health fair, a flight simulator, a radio broadcasts, live musical and dance performances and much more will be more than enough to keep guests happy for the day of celebration.

“We structured the day long celebration to allow people of all ages to pick and choose based on the music they want to hear, the activities they want to participate in. Even the meals they want to eat, we offer both breakfast and lunch. We just want people to feel comfortable with the activities and enjoy the celebration with us,” said the Executive Director of External Affairs at CSU-Pueblo, Cora Zaletel.

For more information on the 75th Anniversary, call Julie Deharra at PCC, (719) 549-3222 or Trisha Macias at CSU-Pueblo, (719) 549-2951.