Waldo Canyon Fire Update

Mountains that were once filled with green trees are now dark and burned. Photo from Natalie Woodworth.
Waldo Canyon Fire brought devastation to Colorado Springs on June 26 and still hasn’t reach 100 percent containment.

Authorities are still investigating how the fire started, but it is deemed that it wasn’t started from natural causes.

The fire has burnt 18,247 acres thus far, and is estimated to reach another 200 acres. There are still 125 personnel involved with the fire and it had more than 1,000 personnel at the peak of the fire, according to information from the KOAA website.

There were about 32,500 people that were evacuated from areas around the fire in Colorado Springs and the final number of homes lost reached 346.

Chris Lujan, senior at Colorado State University-Pueblo, said, “It displaced us! We were calling around to friends looking for a place to stay. All the hotels were booked full. We had only the few clothes and personnel items we could grab in 30 minutes!”

On July 1, news stations around Colorado started to post that the firefighters were only able to save 81 percent of the homes in the neighborhoods that the fire had reached.

People all over southern Colorado have been asking and wondering what they could do to help. There are several places online that people visit to find out more information.

One place that has been a big help for the victims of the Waldo Canyon Fire is Pikes Peak United Way. With assistance from the El Pomar Foundation, the Pikes Peak United Way received a charitable amount of $125,000 to open a victim assistance fund for people who have lost homes.

You can visit http://www.ppunitedway.org/9-whats-new/waldocanyonfire and here is where you can find links to all the different charities you can donate money to for the fire victims, via the internet.

The Colorado State Fairgrounds are also accepting donations at the CSU building and there are several convenient stores that are accepting any donations, like Loaf ‘N Jug. Any small donations to these places goes directly to the funding for the fire relief fund for fire victims in Colorado Springs.

People who want to help can also take canned food or money donations to the Salvation Army in your area. King Soopers has also opened up the doors for donations and are matching small donations for fire victims.

You can also contact your local fire department and request any information about the fire. The fire departments are also accepting donations which will go to the same fund in Colorado Springs.

Pueblo might not be the closest city to Colorado Springs, but the people have sprung into action to help the fire victims and fire fighters that remain on the scene to contain the fire. The fire is nearly contained, but the fire fighters won’t fall back until the smoke has completely cleared.

All evacuations have been lifted after so many spirits were crushed. Now that the firefighters have done such a good job of stopping the fire, people have finally returned to their homes. The Waldo Canyon Fire continues to smoke, but the fire has been trapped for containment.