Golf starts season off right

The ThuderWolf golf team posted a 4th place finish at the Peaks Classic. Photo courtesy of gothunderwolves.com
CSU-Pueblo’s golf team back in action and with new faces added to the crew it looks like it is going to be a great year.

The ThunderWolves had a very good season last year, were ready to get started on after a long summer break. Head coach Josh Koschke brought six players to the tournament, which included an individual player who does not count for the team’s total score.

Sean Thomas made his return to the team after a shoulder injury over winter break last year.

Thomas said, “It felt great to be back on the course playing college golf with my team. I wish I could have played a little better but overall it was fun.”

Thomas shot rounds of 78-80-76 at the Peaks Classic to finish tied for 30th.

Jamie Berry also was on the squad and is a veteran to the team. Berry was named to the RMAC preseason All-Conference team at the beginning of this year. Berry lost in a playoff last year to get into the national championship at the conference tournament and is ready for redemption this year.

Berry started with a first round 72 at the Peaks Classic but struggled his second round with a score of 9 over par 81. A third round 76 gave Berry a finish of tied for 21st.

Sean Kato made his ThunderWolf debut at the Peaks Classic. Kato had no first tee jitters, as he was the low man on the team. Kato shot rounds of 74-71-74 to finish 5th.

“Pretty much everything about this week was great. There is nothing better about playing golf, playing good, and getting away from school. It was a fun two days,” Kato said.

Loren Richmeier is a transfer who came from Dodge City Community College.

“I am proud to be a part of the college golf program and the school. I haven’t been here long but I already feel at home. I am excited to see what this school has in store for me,”

Richmeier said. Richmeier started his career as a ThunderWolf shooting 77-84-73 finishing tied 30th.

Thayne Balling was the ThunderWolves individual at the tournament. Balling was a red shirt his freshman year and was excited to play his first tournament.

Balling said, “ I thought it went well. I am satisfied with the way I putted the ball. It was fun and I can not wait to represent CSU-Pueblo week-by-week.”

Overall, the ThunderWolves finished 4th place out of 11 teams with a three-day total of 904. The men’s golf team goes to Montrose next week to play the first RMAC tournament of the year.