Polls generous to wrestling

The CSU-Pueblo wrestling team was picked to finished 6th this year. Photo courtesy of gothunderwolves.com.
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (GoThunderWolves.com – Oct. 15) – The Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference announced its preseason poll and all-conference teams Monday with CSU-Pueblo picked to finish sixth.

Finishing in sixth place would mean the Pack would improve on their finish in 2012 when they finished in seventh place.

Grand Canyon University is the favorite to win the conference as they were a unanimous selection by the coaches.

In addition to their unanimous first place selection, the Lopes also have three wrestlers included on preaseason teams led by Preaseason Wrestler of the Year, Kyle McCrite.

McCrite is the defending national champion at 125 pounds after finishing the season with 38 wins, tying a school record.

The Pack didn’t have any wrestlers named to the Preseason All-RMAC team, but will have plenty of noteworthy returners when the season opens.

The ThunderWolves will be led by two returning national qualifiers in Jesse Hillhouse (Sr., Casper, Wyo.) and Trevor Grant (Jr., Winemucca, Nev.).

The Pack also returns Tim Urenda (So., Pueblo, Colo.) and Adam Carey (Sr., Phoenix, Ariz.), who were both one match away from qualifying for the national tournament.

Newcomers Jimmy Chase (So., Hanover Park, Ill.) and Niko Bogojevic (So., Superior, Wis.) will also add depth to an experienced Pack team.

Colorado Mesa led the way with four wrestlers being named to the Preseason All-RMAC team.

CSU-Pueblo will preview its season on Nov. 1 with the Blue/Red Intrasquad Scrimmage set to be held at Massari Arena.

The Pack officially opens the season two days later when they are pegged to wrestle in the Wyoming Cowboy Open in Laramie, Wyo.

For more information visit www.gothunderwolves.com