Committee approves Pepsi projects

CSU-Pueblo will receive $20,000 from Pepsi through the Pepsi Grant.
CSU-Pueblo will receive $20,000 from Pepsi through the Pepsi Grant. Photo courtesy of http://1.bp.blogspot.com

Colorado State University-Pueblo will be receiving upgrades due to $20,000, which became available through the Pepsi Grant.

The annual grant is the result of CSU-Pueblo contracting Pepsi as the beverage provider at the university.

“In addition to the $20,000 that the university has chosen to utilize for this grant program, Pepsi provides an allotment of free product for campus events as well as marketing assistance in the form of free banners and giveaways for fundraising and student life events,” said Cora Zaletel, chair of the committee.

In December the Pepsi Committee approved five projects to receive funding through the grant. 15 proposals were submitted and reviewed by each member of the committee.

The approved proposals were a bike share program, patio furniture for the Life Sciences building, information kiosks, office upgrades to Fort Carson, a digital display in Hoag Hall, landscape improvement around Hoag Hall and a barn structure for swallows adjacent to the campus.

Zaletel sent a university wide email in December that included the approved projects and its approximate costs.

A new bike share program will be covered by the grant, costing $3,000.

“(The) program coordinated by Outdoor Pursuits, Sundance Bicycles and Pueblo Active Community Environments would establish a bicycle share program to give students open access to Pueblo, highlighting through use of intercity trails,” said Zaletel in a recent email sent to all students and faculty.

Another part of the grant will include two new concrete tables as well as patio furniture at the Life Sciences building, which will make up for $2,500 of the grant.

The most expensive of the projects will be the information kiosks, costing $5,200.

The cost covers the purchase and installation of three kiosks. They will be placed near the bus stop, the library and Massari Arena, where foot traffic is significant.

“(They) will enhance the physical appearance of the university but also enhance the promotion and awareness of university and community events, clubs, games, activities and promotions,” Zaletel said.

The committee also approved office updates to university space on Fort Carson, totaling $1,000, and will allow for decorating and promoting CSU-Pueblo.

“The grant will be used to install a blue metal wolf logo on the wall as well as a display case in which to place promotional materials,” Zaletel said.

The committee also approved a digital sign for Hoag Hall. It will cost approximately $4,000 and will be placed in the lobby where students, visitors and faculty can view it.

Landscaping around Hoag Hall will cost around $1,800.

Zaletel said the landscaping would include the outside area immediately adjacent to the hall entrance. The improvements would include removing yucca plants and cactuses, that collect trash blown in by the wind, and replacing them with trees, grasses and sprinklers.

Lastly, alternative nesting will be built for swallows nesting near campus. The $2,500 designated to the project will help support the ecosystem as well as meet federal regulations and decrease the amount of work related to the birds.

Zaletel said that the improvements are expected to be finished by the end of the academic year but “a great deal of the timeline is based on the extent of the projects, bids on items purchased, and workload and schedule of the Physical Plant personnel.”