CSU-P men’s soccer show school smarts

For the second straight year, a Colorado State University-Pueblo soccer player has earned the honor of being named the RMAC Player of the Year. This year it was men’s soccer standout Trevor Martinet, the RMAC announced Wednesday.

In 2007, Martinet was a runner-up for the RMAC Academic Player of the Year award.

Martinet, a business major who has carried a 4.0 GPA throughout his collegiate career, was honored for succeeding both in the classroom and on the field.

In addition to his stellar performance in the classroom, Martinet is one of the Pack’s offensive leaders. He is tied for the team lead in assists with four, and is currently one of the leading point-getters on the team with eight. Martinet has helped to lead the ThunderWolves to an 8-6 start this season.

Martinet has been a four-year starter for the ThunderWolves, and is tenth all-time in school history in total points scored (35) and assists (11).

Also named to the RMAC all-academic first team was Udobong Obotette, who carried a 3.5 GPA as an accounting major with a breakout season in 2008 for the Pack. He has scored six goals and registered four assists for a total of 16 points, second on the team. Obotette has the sixth most points in the RMAC this season, and the fifth most goals.

Also recognized was Sam Henritze, who was named to the RMAC all-academic second team. Henritze, a biology major with a 3.47 GPA, has excelled as one of the Pack’s leading defenders, and has registered one goal this season.

Austin Forakis, David Fresquez, Allan Chacon and Joe Schwedhelm were also named to the RMAC academic honor roll.

With seven student-athletes being recognized on various tiers of academic all-conference recognition, the ThunderWolves boast the second most representatives on the team in the RMAC.