Clashing titans battle in Pueblo

After the intermission, the real fireworks began Friday at the “Clash of the Titans II”. The fighters everybody came to see were on display.

The “Chick Fight,” two title fights and two professional fights had the crowd in a frenzy of anticipation.

Leslie Smith defeated Anita Evon Rodriguez in a rare 2-1 judge’s decision.

Before her fight, Rodriguez got into her mindset by watching the other fights from the auditorium. While getting ready, she said she prefers stand up fighting, but if it goes to the ground, it’s going to be “ground and pound.”

Smith and Rodriguez traded kicks and punches, and featured several submission attempts by both women.

The crowd grew louder as the fight went three rounds of constant struggle and battle. When the bell rang to signal the end of the third round, spectators began murmuring about who they thought had won the fight.

Rodriguez said she knew before they announced it. She said it took too long for them to announce the decision.

The much anticipated fight of Nick Buschman and Manuel Gallardo ended abruptly when Buschman was unable to “answer the bell” at the end of the first round. Because of this Gallardo was declared the winner by TKO.

Both fighters and fans expressed disappointment with how the fight ended. Gallardo did go on record saying he would like a rematch after Buschman is healthy.

Buschman’s manager, Keith Schmelzer, said Buschman’s rib separated during the fight. Buschman will be planning a fight in January.

Results:
Chris Gerardo def. Cesario Martinez, by unanimous judges decision; Mickey Kooney def. Brian Scott by unanimous judges decision; Alvino Montoya def. Pat McGovern by unanimous judges decision; Mike Speroni def. Ty Duggan by round one submission; Olajuwon Rodgers, def. Gray Bracket by round three submission; Luke Baker def. Mateo Rocha by first round TKO; Leslie Smith def. Anita Rodriguez by 2-1 judges decision; Issac Colon def. Cory Ortiz by round one submission; Tambora Gerel def. Derek Moralez by round two submission; Shawn Ramsey def. Mike Aragon by round one submission; Manuel Gallardo def. Nick Buschman by round one TKO.