Hillhouse named RMAC Athlete of the Month

Jesse H.
    Jesse Hillhouse, who was named the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference Athlete of the Month for January 2013, also has won the RMAC Wrestler of the Week three times this season. Photo courtesy of gothunderwolves.com

Jesse Hillhouse has always been interested in the sport of wrestling, even as a child.

Hillhouse was born in Phoenix Ariz. He began his wresting career during his freshman year at Kelly Walsh High School, located in Casper Wyo.

While attending high school, Hillhouse won a Wyoming State Championship and was also named All-State.

A senior, majoring in criminology, Hillhouse dreams of getting onto the SWAT team, and would like to work with them on the East Coast.

Hillhouse is the only Colorado State University- Pueblo wrestler in the 125-pound weight class.

“Everyone else that was in the same weight class as me either was kicked off or became hurt during the season,” Hillhouse said.

“The team this year is a pretty young team, there is room for improvement for the guys that are new to the program,” Hillhouse said.

Hillhouse also has a younger brother named Josh who is also involved in wrestling.

On Feb. 4, Hillhouse was named the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference Athlete of the Month, for the month of January 2013.

Hillhouse, who is the No. 1 ranked wrestler in the nation at the 125-pound weight class, finished the month 11-0.

Hillhouse has also been named the RMAC Wrestler of the Week three times this season.

“I’m trying not to think about the in season awards and just keep my focus on regional and nationals.  But it felt good to win it,” Hillhouse said.

With the end to the season approaching, Hillhouse has had an impressive season, with a 25-3 record.

The NCAA Division II West Regional begins on Feb.22, in Chadron Neb. The NCAA Division II National Championships begin on March 1, in Birmingham, Ala.

One of Hillhouse’s favorite wrestlers is Jordan Burroughs, who is a recent Olympic champion.

Although wrestling was part of the 2012 Olympics, wrestling will not be played in the 2016 games.

“I was pretty irritated when I heard the news. One of my dreams is to qualify for the 2016 Olympics.  Hopefully they figure it out and put it back in, because it’s something that I want to get into,” Hillhouse said.

When Hillhouse isn’t at a wrestling match, practicing or in the classroom, he is just being a normal college student, hanging out with his friends and his teammates. 

“This weekend since we don’t have a wrestling match to go to were supposed to go wrestling as a team and just hang out,” Hillhouse said.