Career Fair offers applicants a chance to meet with employers

Photo courtesy of http://www.colostate-pueblo.edu
    The Career Fair, taking place on March 6, will assist seniors with finding a job following graduation. Photo courtesy of http://www.colostate-pueblo.edu

It is March and that means midterms are here, and graduation is shortly arriving.

The spring Career Fair is coming to the Occhiato University Center at Colorado State University- Pueblo, and will be held on March 6.

If you are looking for a job, you will want to attend this year’s Career Fair.

A career or job fair is an event where employers, recruiters and schools meet with prospective job seekers, especially graduating seniors.

At the expo, students will have the opportunity to visit multiple tables or booths where potential employers will be available to meet face to face with potential employees.

“It’s all about networking,” Tanya Baird said. Baird is the executive assistant for the interim-provost and is also part of the Career Center at CSU-Pueblo.

At the booths, resumes can be collected and business cards can be exchanged.

However, this is not just an opportunity for graduating seniors.

Although, graduating seniors are more likely to get a job out of going to the career fair, Baird said, students should attend the Career Fair as early as their freshman year.

As Baird, it’s all about networking and getting your name out there for future employers to see.

Job fair networking can be generally described as the process of interacting with, obtaining contact details and getting to know corporate recruiters.

In the college setting, job fairs are commonly used for entry-level job recruiting. Sponsored by career centers, job fairs provide a convenient location for students to meet employers and perform interviews.

“Employers who come to these job fairs, they’re open minded,” Baird said.

Job fairs are also good places to meet many company representatives from corporations of all industries and sizes in a short period of time.

At the Career Fair at CSU-Pueblo, a variety of employers will be in attendance. Employers will range from AAA Insurance, to the Colorado Springs Police Department and St. Mary Corwin Medical Center.

If you plan to visit the Career Fair there are some things you should remember.

The first thing is to make sure you bring an updated resume.

Students who need resume assistance can find it in two places.

One is the Writing Room, located in the Library and Academic Resources Center, room 251.

“The Writing Room will review resumes with students for grammar and consistency,” Writing Room Coordinator, Keli Hibbert, said.

For all other technicalities in a resume, that you would need fixing, the Career Center can help with that.

The Career Center, located in LARC 187, offers a variety of services that will help students be prepared for not only the Career Fair, but also for any future interview or job opportunity they may have.

Another thing that students should remember, if they are attending the Career Fair, is to wear business professional dress attire.

Although it is a college event, the Career Fair is still a place to meet and impress potential employers.

“A student who goes to the Career Fair will impress employers, and it’s all about impressing,” Baird said.