Everyone can art

Ceramic classes are not just for art majors. Pottery is for everyone.

Colorado State University-Pueblo houses a ceramic program that rivals other major universities. A misconception some hold about art is that it is only for artistic people or art majors.

Vicky Hansen has opened the doors of the ceramic studio to every discipline of study so people can explore and learn how to express their creativity. Hansen has a Bachelors degree in art from the College of William and Mary and a Masters degree of Fine Arts from Kansas State University this experience can create a interesting experience for student that have never really taken art.

Studio classes are offered every semester, which makes it easy to become involved in something that creates art. 

Ceramics offers a full-functioning studio with multiple types of kilns, throwing wheels and instruction make ceramics gives perfect choice for someone wanting to explore new possibilities, Hansen said.

A rigorous schedule does make the program more difficult than something you might have done on the playground as a child. Ceramics are said to help students create a solid idea of how to interpret form and structure.

Sculpture, throwing and hand building are only a tip of what is possible. Hansen said classes are small and become tight communities where people talk, enjoy pottery and express the inner desire to create.

“Once you get your hands in it you just fall in love with it,” Hansen said.

She went on to say she feels it is important for people to create art in the business world because it is beneficial to think of problems in different ways.

She said people can find other areas in life to express themselves if that would be cooking, drawing, painting or just being a mom. She thinks it critical in becoming expressive in whatever you do.

Take a look into the studio with the companion video. Express yourself; feel the clay of the earth, make mugs, cups, new expressions of nature and world.

CSU-Pueblo Pottery Room Overview from Tyler Crotty on Vimeo.