Driving while intexticated

With nearly everyone owning a cell phone, texting while driving has become a huge problem in our nation. Studies shows that people that text and drive are 23 times more likely to get into an accident than other drivers. Even with this research done, many still choose to ignore it. 

According to distraction.gov, a federal government website on distracted driving, 3,331 people have died in traffic accidents involving a distracted driver in 2011, up from 3,267 the previous year. Another 387,000 people were injured in accidents involving distracted drivers in 2011.

Sending or reading a text takes the driver’s eyes off the road on average of 4.6 seconds. This means that driver is driving blind for the length of a football field if traveling at 55 mph.

Teenage drivers involved in fatal accidents, 21 percent of the distracted drivers were distracted by cell phones.

25 percent of teens nationwide respond to a text at least once every time they drive. Twenty percent of teens and 10 percent of parents admit they have engaged in lengthy text conversations while driving.

In Colorado, it is illegal for anyone to text while driving and if you’re under the age of 18 you can’t use a cell phone while driving. On average 11 teens are killed a day due to texting while driving.

This summer authorities have made it a priority to watch for drivers that are texting while driving. Authorities do not need another reason to pull you over if they see you texting and driving. If you are caught texting and driving the fine is $125 and $250 if you are caught for the second time.

So next time you get into your car, think twice about replying to a text. It can wait, don’t become a statistic; save your own life and someone else’s.