Civil engineering technology professor appointed as acting dean

Dr. Sylvester A. Kalevela will begin his new duties as acting dean of the College of Education, Engineering and Professional Studies on August 1, 2013. 

According to an email from President Di Mare, Dr. Kalevela started his career at Colorado State University-Pueblo at the beginning of 2005. Dr. Kalevela taught for 15 years, seven of which he taught at Georgia Southern University.

Currently, Dr. Kalevela serves as a Civil Engineering Technology professor and the chair for the department of Engineering, Technology, Construction and Automotive Industry Management, according to President Di Mare’s email. He also evaluates engineering technology programs.

Dr. Kalevela’s involvement in engineering is extensive. In the states of Arizona, New Mexico and Georgia, Dr. Kalevela is a registered professional engineer. He is also an ABET commissioner serving on the engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, according to the email.

He is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers ASCE, the American Society for Engineering Education ASEE, the Transportation and Development Institute TDI and a Fellow of the Institute of Transportation Engineers ITE, according to the email.

Dr. Kalevela served as a chair of the American Society of Civil Engineers committee on Technology Curricula and Accreditation. In the past he was the Director of the CSU-Pueblo Host Site for the National Summer Transportation Institute, according to President Di Mare’s email.