Football program competes for “Best Under the Radar NCAA Football Atmosphere”

Nick Jurney

The CSU-Pueblo ThunderWolves’ football team is one of seven finalists in the running for Enterprise Rent-A-Car’s “Best Under the Radar NCAA Football Atmosphere.”

Video from youtube.com. Courtesy of http://www.youtube.com/user/GoThunderWolves?feature=watch

The competition began on Oct. 8, and runs through Monday, Oct. 21. Fans are able to vote once per day on GEICO’s “Best of College Football” Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/BestofCollegeFootball.

According to the page, the winner will be selected purely from fan voting. As of Oct. 15, the ThunderWolves held the fifth spot in voting, trailing the Division I Ohio Bobcats, Division I Northern Illinois Huskies, Division III Wisconsin-Whitewater Warhawks and Division I Delaware Blue Hens.

CSU-Pueblo is ahead of Division I programs Sam Houston State and Northern Arizona.

Each of the seven finalists compiled a video showcasing their game day atmosphere, with each video and a map of the school’s location being posted on the GEICO “Best of College Football” Facebook page.

The CSU-Pueblo video was produced by the university’s athletic department and features video footage of the press conference announcing the return of football to CSU-Pueblo, the construction of the ThunderBowl, and interviews with President Lesley Di Mare, head coach John Wristen and other staff members and alumni.

Since its return in 2008 after a 24-year hiatus, the CSU-Pueblo football program has gone on to win two Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference titles, held a No. 1 ranking in the nation during the 2011 and 2012 seasons and competed in the NCAA football playoffs several years running.