Rev 89 recognized in national magazine

Photo courtesy of http://chass.colostate-pueblo.edu
    The article that featured the Rev concentrated on the idea that college radio is dying out, and profiled four campus radio stations, including Rev 89, that were enjoying a high level of success. Photo courtesy of http://chass.colostate-pueblo.edu

Sarah Matott

Colorado State University-Pueblo’s student-operated radio station, Rev 89, KTSC-FM, was featured in Billboard Top 40, a premiere source for the nation’s radio industry news, analysis and chart information. 

The article concentrated on the idea that college radio is dying out, and profiled four campus radio stations, including Rev 89, that were enjoying a high level of success.

Rev 89 uses its college station as training for those pursuing radio careers. It focuses on the top 40 format, which is a contrast to the stereotypical alternative or Indie formats that are often used at college stations.

Former Rev 89 manager Sam Lovato, now a faculty member in the mass communications department, changed the station’s normal block programming format to a modern rock station in 1995 in order to mimic a commercial station, said Jenna Mangino, the station manager. Rev 89 has followed a strict programming style ever since.

Mangino, was quoted in the story in the Oct. 24 issue, “Institutions of Higher Learning…About Top 40.”

A recent graduate of the CSU-Pueblo, Mangino spent almost two years as a promotions manager for the local Clear Channel station before returning to CSU-Pueblo.

Despite news sources reporting that student interest in the radio industry is declining, Mangino says interest is still high at CSU-Pueblo.

“You’d be surprised at the number of students enrolling,” Mangino said, “Our radio program has never been more popular. Students love the learning experience, and apply it to a variety of occupation options including journalism, advertising, public relations, television and new media as well as radio.”

Rev 89 is licensed by the Federal Communications Commission and celebrated 43 years of operation on Oct. 12, 2013. The radio station is part of the electronic-media curriculum in the mass communications department and is operated by mass communications majors or minors.

CSU-Pueblo is the only university in Colorado that offers on-campus, applied experiences in public television, public radio stations, print publications and online publications.

To be eligible for a shift on Rev 89, any student majoring or minoring in mass communications must complete an introductory radio course and enroll in a three-credit-hour, hands-on media lab.