FAFSA deadline approaching

It’s the time of year again for Free Application for Federal Student Aid “FAFSA” and the deadline is coming up. March 1, 2009 is the last day for priority application deadline.
    While it is possible to apply for federal financial aid after the March 1 deadline, students are encouraged to get their applications in early.

“Those who apply on time will get the best and most money and they have more assurance that the money will be here on time at the beginning of the fall semester,” said Sean McGivney who is the director of financial aid.

Assistance is available in the Colorado State University-Pueblo financial aid office, though students are encouraged to apply online. McGivney said this time of year tends to be slower, so students with questions are encouraged to come in now, rather than later.

Another resource available is the Southern Colorado Educational Opportunity Center.

They help students, and their parents, apply for FAFSA, as well as providing other services, including assistance with finding scholarships.

Step one includes determining dependency status, completing the worksheet and applying for a PIN to enable electronic signatures.

Students who have dependency status will need to provide their parents’ information and parental signatures are needed.

The Federal Student Aid Web site recommends filling out the “2009-2010 FAFSA on the Web worksheet” prior to beginning the online application to expedite the process.
    Social security number, driver’s license number, or alien registration number, 2008 federal tax information or tax returns and information on savings, business and farm assets will be needed to complete the FAFSA application.

Those applying for financial aid who have not yet filed their 2008 income tax return can still apply, but they will need to provide income and tax information. This information may need to be verified by the financial aid office at a later date, McGivney said.

Once the worksheet is complete, the online application can be filled out and electronically signed.

After completing and submitting the application, corrections can be made and students may check the status of their application and view their student aid report. Any questions students have about their award can be addressed at the financial aid office located in the Administration building at CSU-Pueblo.

For students who need tax preparation, American Association of Retired Persons is providing free services for students every Saturday in February from 9 a.m. until noon at the Hasan School of Business room 113.

McGivney also recommends applying for scholarships. March 1 is also the deadline for CSU-Pueblo scholarships. Links and instructions are be found on the T-Wolf Student Portal or go to: www.colostate-pueblo.edu/SFS/ and select scholarships.

SCEOC on the CSU-Pueblo campus is located in Massari Arena PE 265 and 266. Call (719) 549-2457 to make an appointment.
    To apply for FAFSA online, go to: www.fafsa.ed.gov