“Booty Tour” to come on April 18

Photo courtesy of colostate-pueblo.edu
    Kirko Bangz, Bubba Sparxxx and Sir Mix-a-Lot will be bringing their booties-and-butts-themed show to CSU-Pueblo for the spring concert on April 18, 2014.
    Photo courtesy of colostate-pueblo.edu

Whether or not you like big butts, and whether you are capable of lying about it or not, the “Booty Tour” is coming to Colorado State University-Pueblo.

Bubba Sparxxx is a Southern hip-hop artist known for his hit song “Ms. New Booty,” featuring the Ying Yang Twins; Kirko Bangz’s most famous single is “Drank In My Cup,” and Sir Mix a Lot is a hip hop and rap artist most known for his song “Baby got Back,” according to his official website.

CSU-Pueblo has hosted concerts for its students dating back to the early 1980s. In the last seven years there have been five concerts featuring well known artists such as Gym Class Heroes, 3OH!3, Ludacris, The Used and Kanye West.

“The concert will provide a social atmosphere for students to enjoy music together and share in an awesome college experience,” Witkowsky said in a previous article in the CSU-Pueblo Today.

While some students are excited for the concert, others seem to think disgust is more in order.

In a December article, some students responded with annoyance at the school’s choice for the spring concert. One student commented to the announcement of Sir Mix-a-Lot by saying that it made CSU-Pueblo look pathetic hiring these groups whose main songs are about butts.

On first hearing the announcement about Sir Mix-a-Lot being chosen, senior sociology major Trevor Kennymore questioned where the CSU-Pueblo administration digs up the people they choose to bring to campus.

“The frustrations I expressed were on the last-minute and lowest-bidder decisions on musicians to invite,” Kennymore said in regards to his initial reaction to the announcement of the “Booty Tour.”

But not all students think the concert is a bad idea.

“Sir Mix A Lot may be seen as a goofy or out-of-touch selection to some, but I think it’s great. The spring concert is supposed to be a fun environment that anyone can enjoy, and I think Sir Mix A Lot is perfect for that,” said junior mass communications major Dustin Yourishin.

Like it or not, the “Booty Tour” is on its way.

Both Pueblo’s REV 89 and Magic FM will be giving away concert tickets, according to Witkowsky.

Tickets went on sale Monday, Feb. 3. The evening’s line up will include several student performers as well as the headliners beginning at 7 p.m. in CSU-Pueblo’s Massari Arena.

Student musicians will kick off the event at 7 p.m. with Bubba Sparxxx taking the stage immediately after at 8 p.m. The event is open to students and the Pueblo community.