Herrera markets Southern Tide as student ambassador

Senior Anthony Herrera is a student ambassador for Southern Tide Clothing.

Anthony Herrera, senior marketing major at CSU-Pueblo, has brought Southern Tide clothing company to campus, offering students a clean, simple and professional clothing option.

Southern Tide was founded in 2005 by Allen Stephenson, a then 23 year old entrepreneur. Stephenson decided to weave the elements of craftsmanship, clean lines, fine quality, and classic design into what was then the concept of Southern Tide.

Herrera became involved with Southern Tide through an internship in their student ambassador program while attending school in South Carolina. As an ambassador for the company, Herrera promotes Southern Tide clothing during scheduled events at the university, as well as in his everyday style.

Southern Tide has ambassadors on over 250 college campus nationwide, and CSU-Pueblo is one of only two campuses in Colorado to have a representative. Employing a unique marketing strategy, the ambassadors represent the company by wearing the clothing and holding events.

“When I applied for the program there were 700 applicants and I was one of 70 that were picked,” said Herrera. “It was really cool that I was able to get this internship, and since I’m a marketing major, it has everything that I need. I set up my own events; I choose contests where people can win prizes, and then I distribute the product. Everything is free; students just have to show up and play the games to get the prizes.”

Because Herrera is also vice president of Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity, he has been able to promote the company during events such as Rush Week where potential students look to join the fraternity’s brotherhood.  One of Rush Week’s most popular events was the tailgating party on Sept. 4 at CSU-Pueblo’s football season opener. The Lambda Chi members held a barbeque and played games while Herrera gave away free Southern Tide clothing to students.

As an ambassador, Herrera will be showcasing Southern Tide at other events on campus throughout the semester.