Campus clubs host Oktoberfest

CSU-Pueblo Brew Club
    Courtesy of CSU-Pueblo Brew Club

Colorado State University-Pueblo students had the opportunity Thursday to spend a gorgeous fall evening at an event that offered drinks and entertainment in a fun, yet safe environment.

The Occhiato University Center patio was the scene of Oktoberfest, an event hosted by the CSU-Pueblo Brew Club and the Colorado International Student Association, alongside other sponsors, including the Art Club, History Club, Student Veterans of America, the Associated Students’ Government and the office of Student Engagement and Leadership.

Oktoberfest took place just outside the south doors of the OUC, one of two venues on campus where alcohol is allowed to be sold. Alcohol sales also are allowed in the Neta and Eddie DeRose Thunderbowl.

The German-inspired event offered free pretzels, German-style nachos, German bread and Rockstar Energy Drinks.

“Oktoberfest is a great event that gave the campus an opportunity to come together as a community,” said Taylor Voss, ASG senator for the Hasan School of Business.

One of the hits and inspirations for the event was the unlimited supply of beer to anyone 21 or older for a small fee of $5.

“It is the CSU-Pueblo Brew Club’s mission to engage the faculty and student body in the ancient art of brewing by showcasing the diversity of the trade in an atmosphere that combines the artistry, business, and academic sensibilities of the brewing industry,” said Phil Padilla, Brew Club president.

After paying the fee, all that was required to drink the various beers on tap was a legal ID and a designated wristband in compliance with the Colorado State University-Pueblo Student Event Management Policy.

The beers available mirrored the diversity of the clubs involved and people in attendance. The brands included  Blue Moon, a Belgian-style beer brewed in Golden, Colorado, New Belgium Lips of Faith, brewed in Fort Collins, Colorado, and Konig Ludwig, a German-brewed beer.

The ASG made its own contribution by offering free bratwursts to the first 100 people to arrive.

“As ASG, we will continue to support similar events that promote bringing the campus together,” Voss said.

Dozens of students and faculty flocked to the marked off area which was guarded by the CSU-Pueblo Sheriff’s Office, another requirement for any school sanctioned event serving alcohol.

It wasn’t hard to pinpoint the location of Oktoberfest. All attendees had to do was follow the music provided by CSU-Pueblo’s radio station, REV89. Students with REV broadcast live from Oktoberfest until a local deejay took the reigns.

“We’re excited to see so many clubs and groups on campus collaborate to host so many different and fun events for the students of CSU-Pueblo,” said REV89 Station Manager Jenna Mangino.

The four-hour party included food, drinks, pictures, dancing, and socializing between the many local and international students and staff.

“Oktoberfest had an excellent turnout. It was a great event that was well executed by everyone involved,” Padilla said.