Community comes together to recognize Veterans Day

Events throughout Pueblo will honor veterans. Photo courtesy of dealsinaz.com.

The Pueblo community is offering a helping hand to veterans on Tuesday, Nov. 11 in recognition of Veterans Day.

Local veterans can take advantage of discounts at local restaurants, as well as community events throughout Pueblo, including a few on campus at CSU-Pueblo.

Community members and students can enjoy live music from Colorado State University-Pueblo’s chamber choir.

The event will start at 11 a.m. at the Veterans’ Bridge on the River Walk in downtown Pueblo.

Following the music, CSU-Pueblo President Lesley Di Mare and Student Veterans of America officer Paul Hendrickson will speak about their experiences in the military, including their deployments.

A 2:30 p.m. ceremony at the CSU-Pueblo’s Southeast Asia memorial will honor soldiers who lost their lives in the Vietnam and Southeast Asia conflict.

The CSU-Pueblo chapter of the SVA is hosting the event, which will have speakers, aircraft flyovers, and music in honor of Veterans Day. CSU-Pueblo’s ROTC program will be presenting color guard and SVA officers Paul Hendricksen and Craig Stanley will be emceeing the event.

Both emcees will be honoring 50 veteran faculty and staff, as well as 500 students who have served their countries.

Pueblo District Attorney and air force veteran Jeff Chostner and veteran Thomas Banks will also be speaking at the event.

There will be free meals donated from Pueblo’s Buffalo Wild Wings for veterans at 5:30 p.m. in the university’s Occhiato University Center Underground.

At 7:30 p.m., the music department will host a concert in Hoag Recital Hall. The concert’s theme is “Home of the Heroes.”

The annual concert’s goal is to raise funds for music scholarships specifically for veterans. Tickets are on sale for $10.

Pueblo’s Texas Roadhouse and Applebee’s will be honoring active duty and retired military by providing them with free food.

Texas Roadhouse, which opens early on Tuesday at 11 a.m., will have a full staff to serve veterans free food from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. Lunch options will include meals on the Early Dine menu.

Applebee’s will be serving free food to veterans from 10 a.m. to midnight. There will be a special menu presented to veterans with seven meal options to choose from.