Students challenge themselves with obstacle course

The X-Challenge is a competition that is a continuous race adventure offered at Colorado State University-Pueblo.

The 10th annual CSU-Pueblo X-Challenge is this Saturday, April 18 beginning at 8 a.m.

“The X-Challenge originated by a student 10 years ago that actually came up with the idea and it has sort of evolved into what it is now,” said George Dallam, a professor in the EXHPR department.

Dallam teaches the course in managing exercise science and the X-Challenge is an experimental model for the class.

“This exercise teaches students how to manage an event and learn how an organization works efficiently,” Dallam said.

The race will be a test on how well each person can balance, problem solve, run, bike, navigate, climb and kayak.

Individuals will participate in the same events but on a different ropes course.

Racers will compete in two-person teams in the categories of male, female and co-ed.

The four-person relay teams will have one ropes course player, one cyclist, one runner and one kayaker.

The race will start at the ropes and it will be the first challenge taking place at CSU-Pueblo, mountain biking through the Pueblo Greenway trail system and a run in the Pueblo City Park

The race will end with cycling to the state park, open water kayaking in Lake Pueblo, and a run in the state park.

To register each individual must be 18 years old. Anyone under 18 years old must enter as part of a team.

Registration is still open and will be until 2 a.m. online at active.com.

The cost is $20 for individuals, $30 for two-person teams and $50 for four-person teams.

Event day registration, after April 17, is $30 for individuals, $40 for two-person teams and $60 for four-person teams.

Registration will be available on the day of the event at 7 a.m. qt the ropes course.

Event proceeds will be donated to the Exercise Science and Health Promotion Recreation Department and Experimental Learning Center.