Spotlight on Reading/Writing: Scott Wagner

The TODAY’s Spotlight on Reading/Writing features CSU-Pueblo faculty, staff and students sharing their reading and writing experiences. The column is co-sponsored by the English and Foreign Languages Department and the English Club. This week’s feature highlights pre-med student Scott Wagner.

swagner.jpgName/department/educational background: Scott Wagner, student in biology and chemistry with a pre-med emphasis. I attended some college courses in the past, but have not yet achieved a degree.

What has been your greatest success in writing? (personal writing , collaborative writing, completing a project or book, etc.) It was a long time ago, but I am most proud of my front page article in my high school newspaper about a district wide teacher strike that occurred in my senior year of high school.

What do you struggle with in writing and how do you tackle that challenge? I usually struggle with putting down complete thoughts to the paper. I struggle with organization, I am not a chronological writer, I throw everything down, and to cope I cut and paste a lot to achieve the chronology that makes the most sense.

What’s your favorite book of all time? “Patriot Games,” by Tom Clancy

What are you currently reading? Author? I have a prospective book about the history of soccer waiting for the semester to end. “The Ball is Round, A global history of soccer” by David Goldblatt

What’s your favorite guilty reading pleasure, an easy, “beach read”? James Patterson Novels, but only his Alex Cross series.

Do you have a favorite word or quotation and who is the author? “Never ask what sort of computer a guy drives. If he’s a Mac user, he’ll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?” -Tom Clancy from an interview before the release of The Teeth and the Tiger

For more information on this feature, contact English Club sponsor and English lecturer Constance Little ([email protected]), 549-2197.