Spotlight on Reading/Writing: Mike Giannetto

The TODAY’s Spotlight on Reading/Writing features CSU-Pueblo faculty, staff and students sharing their reading and writing experiences. The column is co-sponsored by the English and Foreign Languages Department and the English Club. This week’s feature highlights Mike Giannetto of Student Academic Services.

mgiannetto.jpgName/department/educational background: Mike Giannetto/Student Academic Services/Masters of Science in Statistics from Washington State University and Bachelor’s of Science in Mathematics with minors in French and Physics

What has been your greatest success in writing? I won a campus-wide writing contest: $150, first place, for a paper titled “Mathematics: The Unassailable Intellectual Pursuit.”

What do you struggle with in writing and how do you tackle that challenge? Getting started. I create a mind-map and just start writing. My discipline, Statistics, heavily relies on writing. It’s essential because you not only have to provide data but interpret the data so it can be read by your audience.

What’s your favorite book of all time? The autobiography of Malcolm X

What are you currently reading? I don’t have much time for book reading, but I am an avid reader of newspapers and magazines.

What’s your favorite guilty reading pleasure, an easy, “beach” read? Celebrity magazines, Us Weekly, People magazine. It’s like junk food that you get to read.

Do you have a favorite word or quotation and who is the author? “Don’t let school get in the way of your education.” The author is Mark Twain but the quote was told to me by Dr. Bruce Lundberg of the CSU-Pueblo mathematics department.

For more information on this feature, contact English Club sponsor and English lecturer Constance Little ([email protected]), 549-2197.