Free – Plus a Fee

Many students at Colorado State University-Pueblo have verbalized their confusion over the $3 fee they paid as they picked up their tickets for the 3oh!3 concert.

Steve Titus, the president of associated student government at CSU-Pueblo,  said the fee was not for the ticket, but was to help pay for the contract with Pueblo Transit for the event.
    “They were free in the general sense that they were generally free, but we are offsetting transportation costs. It was a decision made in late July because we decided on a transportation program,” he said.
    Students can catch the bus, which will be running non-stop from CSU-Pueblo to the fairgrounds, in the Occhiato University Center parking lot between the hours of 1 p.m. and 1 a.m..

“It’s part of a safer, more sustainable CSU-Pueblo program,” Titus said. “We want people to not drink and drive.”

Michelle Gjerde, director of career center, said this can also eliminate parking hassles, as well as providing transportation to those who may not have their own transportation.
    The shuttle will be free to all students of CSU-Pueblo, with student identification.

“We have sold 2,200 tickets community wide,” Titus said.

Nicky Damania, the director of student activities, said the progress of ticket sales and the promotion of the show is great for the Office of Student Activities.

“Putting this show on, in collaboration with the Associated Student Government and the fairgrounds, shines a very positive light on the office,” he said.

Damania said even though the office of student activities is collaborating on this event, there will be minimal participation from the organization’s staff and volunteers, unlike the Ludicrous show last spring.

“The fairgrounds will have their own volunteers and staff members working at the event. The contribution will be very minimal on the organization’s side,” he said.
    Titus said the Colorado State Fair holds the contract for the show, which is on Sept. 7.

“According to the contract, the fair is paying the band $52,000 as the base price, which means we owe the fairgrounds the amount if we don’t sell any tickets,” he said.

Zav Dadabhoy, the dean of student life and development, said, contrary to the rumor, the university didn’t lose money at the 2009 Spring Concert.

“We spent approximately $90,000 for the show. The show cost the students $65,000. But the university made $25,000 in ticket sales,” he said.
    Dadabhoy said the school will break even for the upcoming show, with no cost to students.

In regards to the rumor that there will be no spring concert, Damania said there will still be one, though no plans have been made at this time.