CSU-Pueblo baseball overpowers University of Nebraska-Kearney

Photo courtesy of gothunderwolves.com
Photo courtesy of gothunderwolves.com

Colorado State University-Pueblo baseball overpowered the University of Nebraska-Kearney with a final score of 8-1. The offense stole the show as the pack had 14 hits which lead to their eight runs.

The pack was dialed in during the third and fourth-innings where seven of the team’s eight rungs were scored. The last run was scared in the seventh inning.

“We pitched it,” Stan Sanchez, head coach of the baseball team, said in the postgame interview.

Starting pitcher, Brandon Conlin, Jr., kept the UNK Lopers from hitting, only allowing five hits in the game. He only allowed three hits and one unearned run on his way to a 2-1 record on the season. Conlin also did not walk any of the batters.

The third-inning heated up when senior Dominick Bregar hit a line drive to get him to second base. Two of the next three batters walked, loading the bases for Francis Griffin. Griffin hit a line drive double allowing the other runners to score, which brought the score to 3-1.

The fourth inning went just as well as junior Jordyn Compehos was able to sneak on base by an error on the Lopers third baseman. From then on the inning was filled with hits as the pack added five singles increasing the score to 7-1.

The final run was added in the seventh-inning when Jordan Godman hit a single, then stole second base. Bregar hit a single to bring him in.

The Thunderwolves did have some mistakes this game. There were five errors by the Thunderwolves throughout the game.

There were a total of five pitchers that played in this game. While Conlin gave up only three hits and one run the rest of the pitchers only gave up two hits and zero runs. The visiting team also played a total of five pitchers in this game.

Bregar ended the day 4 for 5 with two singles, a line drive double, and one walk. He also had 3 RBIs. This adds to Bregar’s great season as he is now batting a .429 average on the season and .533 in the past four games.

“He’s locked in and is seeing the ball well,” coach Sanchez said.

Griffin ended the day 2 for 4 with a single and a line drive double but also had four RBIs.

Brandon Castaneda also had a good game by going 3 for 4 with two walks and a single. Castaneda also added 2 RBIs.

The Thunderwolves next game is on Feb. 26-28 when they play Lubbock Christian in a four game series at Rawlings Field. The first game will start at 1 p.m. on  Feb. 26.