Pueblo’s terrific two: South and Central, secure spots in the Great Eight

Pueblo+South+Colts+boys+basketball+walk+away+from+the+court+with+a+tough+loss+against+Air+Academy.+Photo+by+Ashlyn+Drury.+
Pueblo South Colts boys basketball walk away from the court with a tough loss against Air Academy. Photo by Ashlyn Drury.

By Ashlyn Drury

From the Southwest Motors Event Center to the Denver Coliseum, Pueblo South High School and Pueblo Central High School both advance in the 2023 Colorado High School Athletic Association basketball playoffs.

Both the South Colts and the Central Wildcats had fantastic regular seasons. With the Colts in division 5A and the Wildcats in 4A, they faced each other in the 4A/5A South Central League, along with many other great teams around Colorado.

South went 19-7 in their regular season standings and 10-0 in the South Central League. The Colts were led this season by star player, Maurice Austin. Austin is a high school junior, leading the team in points, rebounds, assists, and steals per game. 

The Central Wildcats also went 19-7 in their regular season standings and 8-2 in the South Central League, led by high school junior Xavier Davis. Davis led the team in points, rebounds, and blocks per game. 

Having played strong seasons, both teams earned spots in the 2023 CHSAA State playoffs. The South Colts played Vista Peak in round one, winning 62-51. The Central Wildcats played Pagosa Springs, beating them 67-61. This advanced both teams from the Sweet Sixteen to the Great Eight, where they would play in the Denver Coliseum.

While both teams had very similar seasons, they also had similar Great Eight performances. The Colts headed to the Denver Coliseum on Thu. March 2 to face Air Academy. It was a very close game, with the Colts holding a lead through the second quarter. After returning from halftime, Air Academy took the lead and kept it throughout the game. Unfortunately, the Colts’ season was cut short with a final score of 65-58. 

The Wildcats played Eagle Ridge Academy on Fri. March 9. Like the Colts game, the Wildcats kept the score close; however, they did not hold a strong lead at any point. The final score was 63-57, ending the season for the Central Wildcats and advancing Eagle Ridge. 

While neither team advanced to the Final Four, Pueblo is still proud of their hard work, dedication and performances. Students, parents and fans attended to show support and congratulate them on their accomplishments.