Pack tennis takes fourth place in RMAC tournament

The CSU-Pueblo women's tennis team took fourth at the RMAC tournament. | Photo courtesy of gothunderwolves.com
The CSU-Pueblo women’s tennis team took fourth at the RMAC tournament. | Photo courtesy of gothunderwolves.com

The Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference for both men and women’s tennis was held this weekend on April 22 and 23 at City Park in Pueblo.

The schools in the conference included Colorado Mesa University, Metro State University, Colorado Christian University and Western New Mexico University.

Both the men and women’s team placed fourth out of five in the conference.

Western New Mexico University finished in first place for both the men and women’s team, Colorado Mesa University ended in second place for both men and women’s, Metro State University ended in third place for men and women’s, Colorado State University-Pueblo ended in fourth place for both men and women’s and Colorado Christian University placed fifth.

After this season, the men’s team will be able to keep all of their players, but the women’s team will lose several of their seniors who will be graduating this spring. Graduating seniors include Mariana Hosomi from Brazil, Toni Alverez and Brooke Trevithick, both Pueblo natives, and Teresa Haro, from Monument, Colorado.

Junior Gia Montoya is currently undecided on playing next fall because she has a one and a half year old child.

Returning women players for the fall include juniors Kaitlin Bos, Kristin Jensen and Samantha Cachutt.

The women’s team currently has a local Pueblo incoming freshman who will play next fall and are hoping for a transfer from a California junior college. They are hoping to at least get one to two more players in order to get the minimum six players needed.

The men’s team will have returning sophomores David Mould and Keaton Qualls, juniors Siggy Menzel, Ryan Ray, Stevel Alcala, Brenden Sullinger and Sazhnev Konstantin and senior Marchelo Chaparro.

The CSU-Pueblo men's tennis team | Photo courtesy of gothunderwolves.com
The CSU-Pueblo men’s tennis team also took fourth in the conference. | Photo courtesy of gothunderwolves.com

It is unknown if the team will have any more incoming players this fall for the men’s team.

The team will have a summer break and start up again in the fall for their offseason and many players are planning on returning home for the summer.

The team’s offseason will start in fall of 2016 and the official season will be held in the spring semester of 2017.

Practices and matches will be held at City Park in Pueblo.