Pack softball places second in RMAC Championship

2016 CSU-Pueblo Softball | Photo Courtesy of http://gothunderwolves.com/sports/sball/2015-16/roster

The Pack placed second in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference championship tournament. In the double elimination tournament, the team lost to the Metro State University-Denver Roadrunners in the first game of the tournament and in the finals.

The Thunderwolves were the hottest team coming into the tournament off an 11 game win streak to clinch the seventh seed in the tournament.

The tournament didn’t start well for the Pack as they lost to the 2nd ranked Roadrunners 7-1. The Roadrunners started off strong as they scored four runs in the first inning, one run in the second and two more in the third inning.

The Pack attempted a rally in the seventh but was only able to score one run. They were able to hit well just not well enough to score as the team had 10 hits in the game but only one run to show for it.

Going into the next game against the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs Mountain Lions was a must win to stay in the tournament and the Pack came in strong.

The game started well for the Pack as they scored first in the form of two runs in the second inning. The Mountain Lions responded in the fourth with two runs of their own but then took the lead in the seventh with one more run.

The Pack responded with Kennedy Smith, LF No. 1, smacking her first hit of the game to right field. Shelby Bennett came in to pinch run for Smith at first, scoring on a single by Sarah DiTommaso, 1B No. 25, and UCCS fielding error tying the game. The next hitter Vivian Ledesma, SS No. 9, hit a groundball through the left side of the infield setting up Moriah Turney, 2B No. 17, in the next at bat. Turney then singled to centerfield to bring in Ledesma for the game winning run.

The late game heroics continued into the next game against the Colorado Mines Orediggers.

The Pack scored first by putting up one run in the first. The Orediggers responded by scoring two runs in the third inning and another run in the fifth inning making the score 3-1 but the Pack came back in the sixth inning on the back of a two run homerun by Ledesma to tie the game at three.

The game would go into extras but wouldn’t be there long as the Pack was able to score one run in the top of the eighth. The Pack also didn’t allow the Orediggers to score in the bottom of the inning to win the game.

The next game against the Chadron State Eagles wouldn’t be as close as the last two. The Pack was able to win 4-1 because of some homeruns, against the RMAC pitcher of the year no less.

The Pack scored the game’s first run in the bottom of the first and DiTommaso and another in the second by way of homerun. Michaela Burpee added to the score with a single homerun of her own in the sixth. DiTommaso hit another homerun right after as well.

The Eagles started to rally in the seventh but was only able to score one run before being halted.

The competition got tough in the next game against the top seeded Colorado Mesa but the pack wasn’t done yet. The Thunderwolves were able to upset the Mavericks with a score of 6-3.

The Mavericks scored the first run in the bottom of the second but the Pack responded by scoring one run in the third and added another in the fourth. The Mavericks added two more runs in the bottom of the fourth to retake the lead.

The Mavericks didn’t keep the lead for long as a wild pitch allowed Moriah Turney, 2B No. 17, to score and a 3-run home run by DiTommaso to keep the lead, leading to a final score of 6-3.

The Pack was unable to seek revenge on the Roadrunners in the championship game as the pack lost 4-1.

After two scoreless innings the Roadrunners scored first by scoring three runs in the bottom of the third and add another in the fifth. The Pack got on the board by scoring one run in the sixth but was unable to score anymore while leaving many on base through out the game and the final score ended 4-1.