New Director of Development got her training at the Mines

Colorado State University-Pueblo hired Julie Rodriguez as its new director of development to plan events and provide scholarship funding for students.

“I have to believe in my skills and my abilities,” Rodriguez said.

As the director, Rodriguez said she works at CSU-Pueblo because she is responsible for allocating money from donors for scholarship programs. She has to provide funding from scholarship donors and process scholarship funding.

“The economy is not in the best situation,” Rodriguez said.

It is challenging to convince private and corporate donors for money because they choose where to allocate their money, she said. Rodriguez said to convince donors she invited them to the campus. She may encourage donors to see the buildings and meet the students.

DenaSue Potestio, executive director of university development, thought Rodriguez was best for the position and hired her. Potestio said Rodriguez has great skills in fundraising because of her previous work experience at Colorado School of Mines Foundation and Xcel Energy Foundation.

Rodriguez was a candidate for the Permanent Director of Alumni Relations and Annual Funds position. A committee was in charge of the hiring process.

“She (Rodriguez) understands how a foundation operates and the opportunities and constraints that we (CSU-Pueblo Foundation) face,” Potestio said.

Rodriguez started her career at Colorado School of Mines. She said she worked as an event planner and fund-raiser for eight years.

The Comprehensive Capital Campaign, a fundraising event at Colorado School of Mines, helped her gain work experience she said.

“For me that was really a training ground for what we’ll be doing at CSU-Pueblo,” Rodriguez said.

She also gained experience while working with political candidates as an event planner for the Democratic National Convention, she said. She enjoyed making various arrangements for it.