Learning Leadership at CSU-Pueblo

Colorado State University-Pueblo is producing a new class of leaders.The university has announced the 2009-2010 President Leadership Program class. Fifteen students have been selected by a committee of campus and community board members as well as students from the President Leadership Program.

Shelly Moreschini, the director of the program at CSU-Pueblo, said the President Leadership Program is a four-year academic program at CSU-Pueblo designed to develop leaders to serve Colorado and the communities in which they live and work.

The program currently consists of 50 students, representing numerous majors and all of the university’s four colleges, she said.

“The students are selected as incoming freshman to the university on the basis of academic excellence, commitment to community service and demonstrated leadership potential,” Moreschini said. 

She said the program is committed to upholding the highest level of standards and expectations of its participants.

“It’s designed to offer students a rigorous leadership development experience that builds on academic experience, experimental and service learning, as well as earning them a minor in leadership studies,” Moreschini said.

She also said the minor in leadership studies requires all Presidential Leadership Program scholars to complete all four program-based courses each course was designed and approved based on its service learning core.

By attending one course every year, scholars will have the opportunity to explore different types of leadership, have the opportunity to shadow a community leader, participate in projects to apply leadership skills and have internship opportunities to hone their leadership skills, Moreschini said.

“Students will also be required to volunteer service to one or more campus or community organizations and to participate in a community service project,” she said.

The scholars will provide Pueblo and southern Colorado area with service, work and leadership by engaging in community service projects and internship opportunities, Moreschini said.

CSU-Pueblo is one of ten schools to participate in the Colorado Leadership Alliance, a consortium of comprehensive leadership programs at undergraduate institutions across Colorado, Moreschini said.

“Through shared resources and collaborative efforts, CLA’s focus is to develop the next generation of Colorado leaders,” she said.

The following students are members of the 2009-2010 PLP freshman class. Kyle Runyon, Colorado Springs; Cardon Brandt, Eads, Colo; Talisha Bell, Manitou Springs; Alayna Abeyta and Gina Ragulsky, South High School; Nicole Abney and Josh Luna, Centennial High School; Antonio Amaya and Sarah Mutz, Central High School; Brad Reeves, Pueblo West; Jason Specht, Sheridan Lake; Justin McMillan and Chelsea Ringo, Trinidad, Colo.; Carly Burmeister, Castaic, Cali. and Amber Willems, Farmington, N.M.