Forget the Job – Get a Career

Arrgh!  You’re so mad you could just scream! You hand your job application to a prospective employer who, after only 10 minutes, says you aren’t what the company is looking for.  You’re tired of repeatedly losing out to other applicants when applying for a job.  You know you’re just as good, if not better, than your competition so what’s the problem?

According to local employers, often it is poor interview skills that keep applicants from getting hired.  For example, what clothes do you wear to your interview?  What information do you include in your resume?  How do you greet an employer?

You can learn the answers to these and other questions from employers at the next Career Fair Solutions scheduled for 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 8 in the Occhiato University Center at Colorado State University-Pueblo.  Here employers will show you how to dress and speak professionally, and what you should and should not include in your resume.

“Employers don’t want to see flip-flops, sweatpants and jeans when you apply for a job.  So you must treat this event as if you’re going on an actual job interview,” said Tanya Baird, CSU-Pueblo Internship Coordinator.

The event will be divided into three sections starting with a mock career fair lasting from 8 to 10:30 a.m. in Hearthwell Lounge.  A 15-minute mock interview is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. throughout the OUC and a Networking Clinic will be held from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. also in Hearthwell Lounge. 

Open to sophomores, juniors, seniors and graduate students majoring in business, mass communications, psychology or sociology, the event is a prelude to the third annual Job Fair slated for 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday, Sept. 22 at the CSU-Pueblo Career Center.

Students who are interested must pre-register for the event with a resume by noon, Friday, Sept. 4 at the CSU-Pueblo Career Center.  Those who wish to participate in an interview must attend the Career Fair to arrange an interview time or make special arrangements with the CSU-Pueblo Career Center.

The event is limited to the first 50 students and reservations are on a first-come first-serve basis so sign up now. 

Register through the CSU-Pueblo Career Center online job board CareerTwolves.  Students who are not currently registered will need to activate an account at CareerTwolves and upload a current resume.  Dress professionally and bring two copies of the resume to the interview.

To register for the mock career fair, login on CareerTwolves.  Once an active account has been established, go to the “Career Events” tab and select “Career Fair Solutions.”  Click on the “Register for Event” button and click “Save.”  The words, “You have successfully RSVPed for the event” will appear on your screen.  Login to your CareerTwolves account to sign up or visit the CSU-Pueblo Career Center,  Room 103, in the OUC.  Interview times are reserved on a first-come first-serve basis and sign up-closes Tuesday, Sept. 4 at noon or when all time slots are filled.

Register for the mock interview by logging in to your Career Twolves account.  Go to the “Schedules” tab and click “Qualified Schedules.”  Choose Event#7, First Command Financial.  Click the “Sign Up” button at the top or bottom of the screen and select the time desired for the interview.  The screen will show the room number assigned.  A note: print and bring this confirmation page with you to your interview.

To register for the Networking Clinic go the “Career Events” tab and select “Networking Clinic.”  Click on the “Register for Event” button and “Save.”  Select the desired resume from the drop down box and click “Save.”  “You have successfully RSVPed for the event” will appear on the screen.  Once this is accomplished this, prepare three questions to ask three employers.

The CSU-Pueblo Career Center and First Command Financial Planning is sponsoring the event.  To learn more call Baird at 549-2980.