Book Review: The Thief of Always

From the mind that brought you “Hellraiser”, “Candyman” and “The Midnight Meat Train”, comes a book for the ages. As a matter of fact, it is a book that was designed for people of all ages.

Clive Barker’s, “The Thief of Always” is about a young boy named Harvey who wants to be anywhere but home. One night he gets his wish when he is guided into a wall that leads him to a house called the Holiday House.

At the Holiday House, nothing is what it seems. Everything imaginable can come to life and the seasons change quickly. Those in the house are quite friendly but for all the wrong reasons. At first, Harvey is blind to it because he gets everything he wanted or what was once lost in his upbringing.

Different holidays come and go. One Christmas he wanted an ark that he cherished. This ark was lost throughout his upbringing. The Holiday House was able to give him the exact same ark.

The house gave everything to Harvey and children before him. There was a price though. They had to stay in the house forever.

Harvey meets a friend early in the story named Wendell. Together they escape, but to their surprise, their parents are much older than what they remembered. The days that went by at the house were actually years in the real world.

“The Thief of Always” has many twists and turns and it is a joy to read. The short chapters and the illustrations are just many of the amazing things the reader will find.

View Comments (1)