Using the Alumni to bring in new students

Prospective students got to have a taste of college life for themselves.Colorado State University-Pueblo is reaching out to alumni across the country for recruitment efforts to bring more prospective students from outside of Colorado this spring.

CSU-Pueblo Alumni Association in conjunction with the office of Admissions and Records hosted a reception for accepted students in Colorado Springs on Wednesday.

Dana Trujillo, the director of admissions, said all of the events aim to convert accepted registered students, an important step in the college enrollment process, by utilizing former graduates of the institution.

Receptions have already been held in Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix and Denver. Trujillo said this reception had the best turnout for alumni and students.

Russ J. Meyer, provost and vice president for academic affairs, said it is important for alumni and students to get together to hear good things about the university and the college experience from others.

He also said it’s important for the school to keep in touch with the alumni and for the school and its alumni to get out of community.

Keith Willschau, class of 2007, said he loved all the things that the school was doing.

“Everything has forever changed the culture, attitude and perception of the school in a positive way,” Willschau said.

Willschau said the new students should live everyday to its fullest while in college.

“Besides education, it’s important to try everything they can,” he said of college students. “Experience new things. Anything they can do helps them to grow as an individual.”

Willschau said he thought the school has a great future ahead of them.

“Right now, I see students getting a better education thanks to the education system and there is a better perception of them in the community,” he said. “I also see them continuing their growth, as long as they make sure to not lose the great programs.”

Some prospective students said they also got a lot out of the event. Samantha Kuhn said the event helped her get ready for college.

“I learned a lot about what I wanted to be and learned that college wasn’t as stressful as I thought it would be,” she said.

Jason Luker, a student ambassador, said he wanted students to get a lot out of this event.

“I want students to be able to meet representatives from the university like staff, alumni and other students and get their questions answered,” he said. “I want them to see how personable the school is and get to have a kind of relationship with other students.”

Derek Lopez, the director of the first year program, said an event of this sort was very important for first-year students.

“It’s always important to get a sense of the institution students will be attending,” Lopez said. “By meeting the staff and alumni, [students] get to see the light at the end of the tunnel.”