Big laughs come to CSU-Pueblo campus

A big man brought his own brand of heavy-duty humor to Colorado State University-Pueblo on Wednesday, April 8.

Ronnie Jordan, who has been featured on BET and HBO, joked about college life, airlines and even did a Ruben Studdard impression which won over the audience.

Jordan got started in comedy in his home town of Atlanta.

“I showed up to open-mic night one night and did really well the first time,” he said.

He said he kept going back almost every night to that club every night and started doing shows across Atlanta after that.

He was voted “Most Wittiest” in high school was crowned “Rookie of the Year” in 2001 by the Uptown Comedy Corner in Atlanta.

Jordan said he was picked because he was getting booked fast and was doing comedy shows regularly in eight months.

He has shared concert dates with stand-up heavy weights such as Mike Epps and the Miller Lite King and Queens of Comedy Search Tour.

Jordan was also one of the opening acts of the Crown Royal Comedy Soul Fest Tour which featured R&B legendary bands Earth, Wind, and Fire and the Isley Brothers.

“It was amazing. I got to hang out with the bands. I mean, they’re icons,” Jordan said. “I would get advice about the business and how to handle everything. I would open up for them, then got to sit in the crowd like a normal fan and watch the show.”

Jordan headlined the Roosevelt Johnson Enterprise Comedy Cabaret Tour, which is the longest running and highest grossing comedy tour targeting colleges and universities.

Jordan said college tours are his favorite.

“I want the crowd to have fun,” he said. “I talk about things that the kids can relate to and it’s fun. I talk about what college was like for me. A lot of big name comedians don’t like doing college shows, because it’s so hard to relate.”

Though Jordan said he likes all his jokes, his favorites are the jokes about roommates.

“They’re so inappropriate, but so true,” he said.

Jordan has been featured on “Comic View” as well as host the successful Atlanta-based video show, “Oomp Camp Live”. Behind the scenes, he writes for “That Comedy Show.”

“I like writing because you get to be creative and you get to think differently,” he said.