Faculty Friday: Steve Henson

Today photo/Natashia Gebre-Zion

Today photo/Natashia Gebre-Zion

Through hard work and passion, professor carved out iconic career in Pueblo

By Natashia Gebre-Zion

Steve Henson, a professor of media communication, was nominated by students for this first Faculty Friday.

Henson is known for winning 40 state awards for his writing at the Pueblo Chieftain. However, he didn’t always want to work as a media communications professional. 

Henson was an active member of his high school’s debate team. He had planned on going out of state to become a lawyer. However, due to unforeseen circumstances, he decided to stay close to home and study speech at Colorado State University Pueblo (then the University of Southern Colorado).

His focus changed to media when he was told to take a broadcasting class. Henson fell in love with news broadcasting and his career eventually led him to becoming a top editor for the Pueblo Chieftain. 

It wasn’t until the rise of digital media that Henson decided to step down from the Pueblo Chieftain and start teaching. 

“I want to share that the key to success is hard work… Some struggle, and I want to be there to help,” Henson said. 

Henson is the first to know about life struggles, as he lost his brother when he was 18 and had to take on a few jobs. 

“My mom was in a funk and I worked a few jobs to help pay the mortgage. One was part-time and the other was full-time… I was 18 years old. I was in and out of love and knew that’s where I needed to be flexible and work hard,” shared Henson. 

“The key to success is hard work. … Some struggle, and I want to be there to help.”

Henson stated that he finds ways to help students by providing feedback, because he knows life is not easy. When asked if he sees the same passion in his student’s eyes as he had growing up, Henson said: “Some of them. Some of my students have that passion and you can see it in their work.

“We will get through it! Do more than just being a student.”

When he is not on the tennis courts, you can find Henson on a cruise to the Caribbean or playing the slots in Las Vegas with his son. 

Henson has three children and eight grandchildren. He didn’t grow up with his father, so Henson made it a point to be an active father in his children’s life. Down the road, Henson had the opportunity to reunite with his father and has kept a steady relationship with him since.

“We lived on the east side and we were poor, and I think that was a good thing,” said Henson, whose beloved mother brought him to Pueblo when he was 3 years old. He said everyone has a story, adding that the best stories aren’t about the Superbowl or politics, but about the everyday man.

“I like the local guy, the church leader, the owner of the shoe shop,” he said.