Meet your 2021 Homecoming queen

Sonia Earles (center) reacts to the news that she is the 2021 Homecoming queen. I didnt even know I was nominated, the freshman softball player from California says with a laugh. [Courtesy photo/Sonia Earles]
Sonia Earles (center) reacts to the news that she is the 2021 Homecoming queen. ‘I didn’t even know I was nominated,’ the freshman softball player from California says with a laugh. [Courtesy photo/Sonia Earles]

Queen E

“It was overwhelming, but in a good way. It was amazing to have the support from my team and friends when my name was called.” — Sonia Earles, 2021 Homecoming Queen

By Katie Meeks

Sonia Earles, recently nominated and Homecoming queen victor, is a softball fanatic with a bright future. Earles, originally from Sacramento, California, came to CSU Pueblo to play the sport and experience the beauty Colorado has to offer. 

“I came here because it seemed really pretty and had the most to offer academically,” she said. “I actually didn’t get a visit [on campus] because of COVID, so I committed blind. But, I’m really happy with my decision.

“I love it here.”

Earles has five siblings and expressed some discomfort being away from her family.

“It’s weird being away from my family for sure; they are my whole world. It’s pretty hard, my mom and dad are like my best friends so not having them around 24/7 is a little odd,” she said.

However, she has taken comfort in surrounding herself with teammates and coaches to keep her feet on the ground — or make that, the mound. As a pitcher, Earles loves the sport she has played for 11 years.

“My favorite part about softball is just the girls and the coaching staff. They are definitely my home away from home,” she says. 

Earles, 17, is studying early childhood education and is specifically wanting to go into special education. She loves to lift and be around friends, all while trying to juggle the newfound college lifestyle of staying on top of class work and maintaining a sleep schedule. 

She was surprised, to say the least, at her recent Homecoming crowning.

“I didn’t even know I was nominated,” Earles said with a laugh. “My teammate works for student engagement and surprised me with the news. My other teammates … encouraged me to campaign to help with votes.

“It was a crazy feeling. I definitely did not think I was going to win.”

Earles said that as a freshman, she didn’t believe this idea was even plausible considering she doesn’t know very many people. 

“It was overwhelming, but in a good way. It was amazing to have the support from my team and friends when my name was called,” she said. 

Earles thanked the university and students, and said she looks forward to her continuing college career as Wolfpack’s very own 2021 Homecoming queen. 

See related content:
View Comments (2)