Rev 89 earns international accolades

Some members of The Revolution Rev 89 team show their Thunderwolf pride prior to kickoff of a CSU Pueblo football game this fall. [Courtesy photo/Jenna Lovato/Rev 89]

“Our broadcasters have been a constant driving force at the station and I’m grateful to see their hard work being recognized on a global level.” — Rev 89 Station Manager and Faculty Advisor Jenna Lovato

By Regan Foster

The Revolution has once again lived up to its name.

The CSU Pueblo college radio station, more commonly known as Rev 89, was one of just 10 college stations from around the globe to earn the coveted Spirit of College Radio Award. The honor is presented, “in recognition of truly outstanding and spirited efforts made by college radio stations on World College Radio Day,” according to the World College Radio Day website.

“We are so honored to receive the Spirit of College Radio Awards for 2021,” Station Manager and Rev Faculty Advisor Jenna Lovato said in a statement. “I’m incredibly proud of our student broadcasters being a living representation of this year’s theme for World College Radio Day, ‘In Tough Times, We Thrive.’”

More than 600 stations from across the globe threw their frequencies into the ring for consideration. A College Radio Day Task Force voted on the honorees, with an eye toward “[shining] a spotlight on stations that not only go above and beyond to celebrate the annual CRD event, but also embody the passion and mission of college radio,” the radio day website reported.

“Every year, across the country, so many stations join together to showcase the talents and accomplishments of college radio,” College Radio Day past-president Sean McDonald (2016) said in a statement on the website. “These stations took it to the next level.”

Of the 10 global winners, seven are from the U.S., one broadcasts from Coast Rica, one is based in Greece and one is in Philippines.

This is the first time in the 12-year history of the honor that the Rev has won, Lovato said.

“Our broadcasters have been a constant driving force at the station and I’m grateful to see their hard work being recognized on a global level,” she said.

World College Radio Day was Oct. 1. The other honorees were:

• Aggie Radio 92.3 KBLU LP Logan: Utah State University (Logan, Utah)
  • RADIO-E: Universidad de Costa Rica (Costa Rica)
  • UPFM: University of Patras Radio (Greece)
  • UST Tiger Radio: University of Santo Tomas (Philippines)
  • WKNC 88.1 HD-1/HD-2: North Carolina State University (Raleigh, North Carolina)
  • WLMC Landmark College Radio: Landmark College (Putney, Vermont)
  • WMSC 90.3 FM: Montclair State University (Montclair, New Jersey)
  • WOLF Radio: University of West Georgia (Carrollton, Georgia)
  • WWSU 106.9 FM: Wright State University (Dayton, Ohio).
 **See related content: Rev 89 is number one in the nation **
** CSU Pueblo’s radio station ranks nationally **