Honoring hard-working students leadership & involvement

The front of the stage and the audience seating for the 2023 Student Leadership and Involvement Awards. Photo by Holly Ward.

By Holly Ward

Every year towards the end of the spring semester, CSU Pueblo’s Office of Student Engagement and Leadership (SEAL) puts together an annual evening to honor and congratulate hard-working students at the university.

The 2023 Student Leadership & Involvement Awards took place on the evening of Tuesday, April 11, in the Occhiato Student Center ballroom. There was a reception preceding the award ceremony for guests to take pictures in front of photo backgrounds and enjoy hors d’oeuvres and a cash bar. The attire requested was formal, and many guests dressed for the occasion. This year, faculty, students, and staff of CSU P could nominate candidates for the awards starting in February. This nominee form was sent through a pdf hyperlink through emails, flyers, and social media. People associated with the university could nominate people they believed deserved to be within specific categories. The awards have two categories: Individual Awards and Organization/Group Awards. Judges used rubrics to select the nominees and award recipients. The Student Leadership & Involvement Awards Selection Committee determined this year’s award recipients who judged the nominees. The committee is diverse and unbiased and cannot be affiliated with nominees. The Student Leadership & Involvement Awards have been a tradition of CSU Pueblo and have been an event for many years. Before 2010, the awards were known as “Achievement Day.” The guest list included people who were nominated, nominees, the nominees’ guests, and the university’s leadership. 

SEAL’s Assistant Director of Orientation, Family Programs, and Major Events, Precious Molina, shared her experience chairing this event for the first time. 

“The awards show this year received an impressive number of nominations across two categories with 18 awards, showcasing the depth and breadth of leadership and involvement across campus. With over 100 nominations, it was an exciting year for the awards and a true testament to the dedication and hard work of the individuals and teams who were recognized. We had an estimated attendance of around 150 people,” Molina said.

There are many people involved in creating the awards. Preparation can begin as early as July before the school year, though most of the preparation takes place in January. The organization must partner with organizations across campus, including the President’s Cabinet, the Foundation, the marketing team, outside vendors, operations, and auxiliary services. Faculty and staff are asked to become presenters for the awards, which all contribute to the large amount of communication and planning that goes into putting on the awards.

“We hope the students know that when they do not win, that they already won. Because that means if someone took the time to do a nomination for you, it means that your efforts, time, and everything you have put in to support the community are not going unnoticed. You already won by being a nominee, and that should be celebrated,” said the Director of Student Involvement and Activities, Fabian Sigala Orozco.