Outdoor activities of Pueblo

By Camerron Martin

Pueblo, Colo. has a lot to offer in the name of fun and interesting activities for both residents and travelers to take part in. Among the various options presented to people are several locations in and around town that offer outdoor activities for those who wish to participate.

Downtown Pueblo offers the Pueblo Riverwalk. It is an excellent place to go for a walk, jog or have a good meal at many quality restaurants along the water, including Angelo’s Pizza Parlor, Brues Alehouse Brewing Co, Twenty One Steak and many more. The Riverwalk also offers different boat rides along the water, including guided history tours and pedal boats. 

Pueblo offers many standalone fields in the local community for those interested in athletics, whether competition or leisure. The Runyon Field Sports Complex on 400 Stanton Ave., where you can go to catch a game of baseball. 

Pueblo also offers two golf courses for those interested in a slower-paced game. Elmwood Golf Course, located on 3900 Thatcher Ave., and Walking Stick Golf Course on 4301 Walking Stick Blvd. offer quality golf experiences. 

Another set of more prominent outdoor locations is Mineral Palace Park and City Park. Mineral Palace Park on 1600 N Santa Fe Ave. offers a playground, swimming pool, picnic areas, walking trails, memorial sites and fifty-seven acres of space for families to host an event or throw a ball around. 

City Park, located at 600-2458 Carlile Ave., offers a disc golf course, swimming pool, tennis courts, playground, walking trails, skatepark and other amenities. Pueblo City Park also contains the Pueblo Zoo at 3455 Nuckolls Ave., which allows families to enjoy viewing its resident animals.

The Nature and Wildlife Discovery Center at 5200 Nature Center Rd is a little further from town. This location offers multiple picnic areas and fishing spots alongside a boat ramp which those interested can take a kayak from there down the Arkansas River towards town. From here, there is access to miles of trails that can be walked or cycled along the river. Along the road to the Nature Center is the Raptor Center. It is home to many birds of prey who are in the process of being cared for and rehabilitated. 

Outside of Pueblo sits its largest outdoor attraction, the Lake Pueblo State Park. It is located at 640 Pueblo Reservoir Rd. The park offers activities such as year-round camping at on-site campgrounds—a marina with boating options for both motorized and non-motorized vessels. 

Miles of walking, cycling, hiking, horseback and off-road trails. Options and areas for hunting and fishing alongside an archery shooting range. Public view of the Pueblo State Fish Hatchery at 500 Pueblo Reservoir Rd. and a visitors center with helpful staff willing to explain everything and answer any questions Pueblo might have.

You only need to go out and look for the fantastic sights and attractions Pueblo offers since the city is home to many of them.