International students to host 80th annual event

Photo provided by Canva.

By Bill Redmond-Palmer

The Colorado State University Pueblo International Students Association (CISA) will proudly host the eightieth annual “International Extravaganza” event this month. Yes, you read it right – the eightieth annual event! It has a long history at CSU Pueblo, and after a pause created by COVID, CISA is excited to revive the fun and festivities. This year, the CSU Pueblo Black Student Union will cohost the International Extravaganza. Join the festivities at this free event on Friday, April 21, from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m., in the Massari Gym.

The event will include cultural presentations, music, dance, food, and drinks, from around the world. Some of the countries represented will include Mexico, Bolivia, Peru, Brazil, France, the Czech Republic, the United Kingdom, China, Nepal, Japan, and the Navaho Nation. Not only is the event open to everyone, and admission is free, but the food and drinks are also free. The CSU Pueblo Black Student Union will also have a table.

“We are very excited to revive this event,” said Lilia Myers Van Pelt, CISA advisor, and Associate Director of the English Language Institute. “The purpose of the International Extravaganza is to share and educate people about the countries and cultures of some of our international students. We also want to celebrate our international students, helping to make them feel more like they belong to our university community.”

“We are also happy to have another club collaborate with us for the first time, the CSU Pueblo Black Student Union, and we greatly appreciate their contributions,” said Myers Van Pelt. Other groups and departments supporting the event include the Center for International Programs and Inclusive Excellence, the CSU Pueblo Division of Student Affairs, Friends and Family, and Student Engagement and Leadership (SEAL).

“The Black Student Union is excited to have the opportunity to be part of this unique event,” said Shay Wilson, president of the CSU Pueblo Black Student Union. “We look forward to presenting something we think everyone who attends will enjoy.”

“We greatly value the important contributions that our international students make to the culture of our university,” said Bonnie Fruland, Assistant Dean of Student Support and Advocacy and the Center for International Programs and Inclusive Excellence. “It’s exciting to see the revival of this event that is so important to our university’s history and community.”

For more information, please contact Lilia Myers Van Pelt at [email protected] or (719) 549-2721.