New Academic Pathways for Success for Students

By John Boren

On Monday, Oct. 17, Colorado State University of Pueblo Faculty Senate meeting was held at 3:30 p.m. in the OSC Building.

There was a first reading of ten new certificates and degrees that are up for the proposal and will be voted on during the second reading. 

The Art Associates Degree mentioned it would be retroactive and only available to students currently not attending CSU Pueblo. Once it goes through, the school will use the current contact information and information that the state has to find and contact these individuals so that they may be notified of their new degrees. Some people will not be able to get it if they are not able to be contacted or informed of this new retroactive degree.

There were also several certificates that students would potentially be able to earn. These are meant to be stackable credentials that allow them to be more marketable to the job market. It is also supposed to attract more people to finish their degrees since these certificates stack. Once students have several of these, they will be close to getting a degree.

JST, Joint Service Transcript, are military transcripts used to enroll into colleges and will be accepted past the ten-year limit that other classes have. This is to make CSU Pueblo seem more military-friendly and attract more military vets.

Philosophy 107 is now general ededucation.

Many tech issues have been brought up, such as emails not being sent and ease of use from some of the used pathways, such as Starfish. Also, student engagement with these pathways, like Starfish, is low. It is not rare that faculty haven’t received a boomerang back from the students after they have been flagged.

The school, as well as Colorado in general, has a hard time bringing in people from out of state because of the low wages. This makes it hard to fill positions with the right talent. A provost candidate will be asked questions from the faculty via zoom at the next faculty meeting. 

Currently, CSU Pueblo’s planned budget for the year 2023 is at a 2 million deficit.