What does Thanksgiving Mean to You?

By Camerron Martin

Thanksgiving feasts are one of the oldest traditions in America. The holiday is filled with customs and comforts that people have enjoyed for over one hundred years. People often go straight from a Halloween state of mind to Christmas cheer without putting much effort into Thanksgiving. Sometimes putting thought into what they want to eat and who they wish to eat with. A big part of this idea is likely attributed to the fact that Thanksgiving is a holiday rooted in tradition that is not often broken.

Despite all the possible ways to celebrate Thanksgiving, a popular, often the most looked forward to celebration is the meal itself while spending time with family and friends. The Thanksgiving feast is often considered a significant backbone of the holiday since it is what people come together to create. 

Everyone can enjoy a good meal with good people. It can include extravagant dinners of turkey, mashed potatoes, casseroles, salads and pie to the more straightforward routes such as takeout or ordering a pizza. Almost everyone has some fond memory of waiting eagerly for a plate of something one of their family members cooks better than anyone. 

Alongside any good meal is good entertainment, and there is no shortage of Thanksgiving-related options people often turn to. Thanksgiving Day is also a day off work to enjoy sports games, including football, timeless tradition fans all across the country support while enjoying their meals. 

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade rivals football as the entertainment of choice for the holiday as the second big televised tradition. The Parade is an annual event in the streets of New York Manhattan, where families are in the live audience and at home watching music and dance performances and giant balloons glide through the buildings. The whole event is broadcasted nationwide live by the National Broadcasting Company.

Thanksgiving isn’t just all about eating enough to put you in a food coma while watching television. It is also about giving back to your community. Unfortunately, the reality is not everyone can celebrate a traditional Thanksgiving on their own, and many often miss out on a majority of the holiday’s traditions. 

Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to provide a little support to families who need it. Food drives and fundraisers are held annually to gather and donate the things necessary for a happy Thanksgiving for everyone. Every city and town has some form of annual drive, food bank and distribution center. People can go around this time of the year to donate canned goods and other supplies that will be distributed across their communities to ensure nobody is left hungry. 

The standard traditions may have fun and entertaining aspects of Thanksgiving, but giving back to your community to make sure everyone gets a chance to be a part of the celebration is what the holiday is all about.