SoCo Veteran Food Distribution

By Danielle Whitaker and Zoe Schimke

On Saturday, Nov. 12 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Southern Colorado hosted their fourth inaugural veterans’ food distribution on the CSU Pueblo campus. The event was hosted by the Center for American Values, CSU Pueblo and the Coalition to Salute America’s Heroes. 

The event was sponsored by organizations such as Xcel Energy, Care and Share Food Bank for Southern Colorado, Humana and Feed the Children.

Tanya Quintana is the Program Director for the Center for American Values and a key player in the Saturday morning food drive.

“We found that there are a lot of veterans in need, not only in the public community, but in Southern Colorado also,” she said.  

Southern Colorado Veteran Food Distribution has been donating Thanksgiving meals to families in need for the last four years, and this year is no different. 

“Everybody started asking at the beginning of the year ‘Are we doing the food distribution?’ You know, it impacts so many people, when they take all these big truckloads out to Conejos County, Custer County, Otero, Bent, Prowers…They’re in such need.”