Circle K: Community organization on campus

Circle K members were holding their rakes after cleaning local yards. Photo provided by Sean DeHeart.

By Holly Ward

Recently reestablished at Colorado State University Pueblo, Circle K is a volunteer-based service organization aiming to get students involved in helping others.

Vice President of Circle K, Alleson Scholosky, said, “Even though we just started Circle K back up at CSU Pueblo, it means more than just a club to me. It’s like a family, and that’s how I would describe it. My experiences so far have been very good!”

Circle K is the collegiate version of Kiwanis International, another service organization. Their branches of Key-Clubs are present in high schools across the country.

“We specifically try to focus on volunteer opportunities that are in the local community of our university, as well as helping at events and helping people on campus who need us,” said Circle K’s Club President Nicholas Bellavia. 

Circle K is also helping with the university’s Science Olympiad and Pueblo’s Latino Chamber of Commerce with the events they are putting on. The organization is looking into assisting local nursing homes too.

“We really cover a broad range of volunteer opportunities. Whatever you are interested in, we would like to look into and potentially create that as an opportunity for us,” Bellavia added.

Last semester, Circle K participated in the annual Rake Up Pueblo, which aims to help local citizens clean up their yards from fallen leaves. The three families the organization helped this past November appreciated the service club’s assistance.

Circle K’s Secretary, Sean DeHeart, said, “I know that there are so many things we can do to better the community and so many people who could use our help. I love seeing the smiles on people’s faces and understanding we have made a great impact.”

The organization is looking to grow its membership, which currently sits at around 11 members. Circle K hopes to create a sub-community on campus that fosters the passion for helping others. Even partnering with like-minded organizations on campus is also a goal of Bellavia’s for Circle K. 

“Since we are a part of the Kiwanis family, I think reaching out and growing our influence across the community and potentially further by helping out at local Key Clubs and even at our Kiwanis parent organizations,” Bellavia said about his aspirations of the club.

Circle K has meetings every other Friday from 1:00 – 1:30 p.m. in CSU Pueblo’s library, room 258. However, if students cannot attend those meetings, there are still ways to be active members of the organization.

Students interested in joining Circle K can contact the club’s faculty mentor, Dr. David Volk. His office is in the Center for Honors and Leadership, the same room the club meets every other week, in the campus library (LARC), room 258.

Circle K member Alleson Scholosky said, “Community service is so important to me because of how I can impact others’ lives. Doing food drives, Rake Up Pueblo, and Junior Achievement every year is just a small way I can impact someone’s life for the better. That is why community service is so important to me. If I can make some kind of change, I’m going to do it!”