Millar’s meteoric rise to the top continues

CSU Pueblo Men’s Golf Team Runners-up in the season opener. Photo by Josh Koschke.

By Archie Wyatt

After yet another individual win to his name, this time in San Diego, CA, Matt Millar has no plans of slowing down.  

On Sat., February 11, CSU Pueblo Men’s Golf team packed their bags and jetted off to the West coast in search of adding the CSU San Marcos Fujikura Invite to their trophy cabinet.  

Having the Saturday afternoon to explore what San Diego had to offer, the team of three Scots, one Englishman, and one American got to experience new foods and beautiful scenery.  

Come Sunday; it was time to get down to business. With the experience of Coach Josh Koschke and Assistant Coach Andrew Ni – former all-American at CSU Pueblo – the men figured out a game plan in Sunday’s practice round.  

With play beginning early Monday morning at Shadowridge Golf Club, the Thunderwolves knew they had a long day of 36 holes to build a solid platform heading into the final round the next day. With fast greens and tight fairways, it was Matt Millar and Jamie Roberts who rose to the occasion on day one, with Millar posting 69, 66 (-9) meanwhile Roberts shot 68, 69 (-7), leading the team to sit in third place after day one.  

Understanding what was needed to get the season off to a winning start, Koschke’s men were prepared for the test that lay ahead.  

Despite the high winds and the rain showers, the Thunderwolves battled hard, but it wasn’t enough to claim the top spot, losing to the hosts CSU San Marcos by just two shots. Nevertheless, it was a team effort, with Liam Duncan shooting 70 (-2), Jeff Nelson 72 (E), and Archie Wyatt 75 (+3).

However, Matt Millar stole the headlines with a steady round of 72 (E) to claim the medalist honors by seven strokes. 

“It was a nice win. I played well all week. I didn’t really look at the leaderboard that final round, and to see I had won by seven was quite a surprise but a great feeling.” said Millar. 

He later adds, “I had no expectations, it was a long break from competitive golf, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I was playing nicely heading into the tournament. My short game was sharp – that was the main thing. Two bogeys in 54 holes were probably the reason I managed to win, and I put that down to my short game, to be honest.”  

Speaking on Millar’s recent performances, Coach Koschke only praised the boy from Devon, England. “He’s on track to do some amazing things. Winning three times in just five events is incredible. He’s won in Colorado, he’s won in a playoff in Florida, and now in California, dominating the rest of the field; it’s pretty special.” said Koschke.

Koschke adds, “He’s proven that he can play all over the United States of America. It’s just been really fun to watch. He’s very talented, working really hard, but most importantly, extremely humble – he really is a great guy.” 

Looking ahead to the team’s next event, this time in Las Vegas, Millar’s focus has turned to make it four from six. The now No. 3 ranked golfer in the country, Millar states, “Just keep doing what I’m doing, keeping my wedges and short game sharp and my putter hot. I think there’s going to be a premium on driving the ball, so I’m working on my ball flight with my driver.” 

It is also clear to see where Koschke has set the bar, as when asked about his goal for the team, the answer was simple, WIN!