Unveiling Fall 2023 styles at Southern Colorado Fashion’s spectacular Showcase

Model beautifully showcasing fashion pieces from DADA Designs. Photo by Madison Lira.

By Madison Lira

A red carpet was laid out for the models at Blo Back Gallery on Aug. 26, 2023, the audience oohing and ahhing at the designs and a selection of new and veteran talents of the Collective’s history, showcasing beautifully designed fashion and jewelry. DJ Deuce set the tone of the model’s music and helped them walk down the red carpet to show off pieces. 

Various designers included but were not limited to, CurvyRedGurl Creations and the night’s headliner, DADA Designs. The night concluded with performances from local talent and an after-party to celebrate the end of the fashion 2023 year for Southern Colorado Fashion. 

Southern Colorado Fashion Collective dedicated the Saturday night to showcase its Fall 2023 fashion and jewelry designs as a beautiful end to the 2023 fashion season here in Southern Colorado. Designers from throughout Colorado, such as Heliotropes by Hannah, Skully Clothing, Kween’s Kreations, Maria Elena, CurvyRedGurl Creations, and DADA Designs, came together to make this showcase the best one yet for the collective. 

Filled to the brim with nerves and excitement, Maria Elena Weaver made her first debut showcase a hit with her jewelry. 

Weaver described her debut, “The kids are sweet, and I like to make things. So usually I make them, and then they go to a store to sell, but seeing them on the models was very exciting.” 

Weaver crafts each piece of jewelry with unique styles and patterns. “I start out with a pattern, and then I choose the colors, and I pick the beads and whatever pleases my eye.” 

Weaver stepped out of the box for her debut showcase and went outside her comfort zone to create bigger, more extravagant pieces. Models wore each handcrafted piece, ranging from necklaces to earrings to full jewelry sets.

A veteran designer made her back to this year’s Fall showcase. Kween of Kween’s Kreations came with fantastic tie-dye pieces, including a top from her beautifully designed Pinkalicious set. 

Kween has already been to quite a few showcases, such as Denver Fashion Week, Unique Week of Fashion in Denver, and Color of Fashion; however, she enjoys working with Southern Colorado Fashion due to the location as she is a Colorado Springs designer.  

She discussed the importance of having a fashion collective down in Pueblo. 

“This is just a dope opportunity for all people in the art industry that are just doing their thing, but they are not as close to Denver, so it gives us a platform so that we don’t have to drive so far,” Kween said. 

Kween also discussed the accessibility of having a fashion collective such as Southern Colorado Fashion here. 

“It’s really nice to just be able to come just an hour or even 30 minutes outside of your comfort zone and be able to show your designs or your art. I think that’s really the most amazing part and just getting an art scene in more than just Denver.”

A new model, Summer Rain, also stepped out onto the red carpet to model for her debut showcase. 

“It was extremely nervewracking but extremely rewarding,” Rain said. 

Rain showcased the fashion and jewelry of another first-time debut designer, CurvyRedGurl Creations.

Rain also talked about her experience with Southern Colorado Fashion. “It has been a really great experience. They actually reached out to me on my birthday about modeling. It has been something I wanted to do for a long time, and I’m just grateful to have the opportunity.”

Regarding those looking to model and design and looking for that jumping point in getting out there, Rain said, “I feel like all of the designers that work with SCF are really cool. They’re really accepting. They have great perspectives on their artwork, and I recommend working with them.”