Local musician promotes first album “Pueblo”

Berkley performed in front of Solar Roast on Main Street in front of community members, friends, and family. Photo by Holly Ward

By Holly Ward

Andrew Jones returned to his hometown Friday night, Sept. 1, to promote his new album titled “Pueblo.”

Professionally known as Berkley, his concert occurred Downtown in front of Solar Roast on Main Street. It was part of Analogue Books, Records, & Bar’s “Live Music Fridays” weekly event. Berkley was joined by musicians from Texas called The Little Band to perform songs from his first full-length album.

It was evident many of Berkley’s friends and family were among the crowd of approximately 50 people. Nana’s BBQ had its food truck parked on the side of the street for community members to grab dinner before the concert started around 7:15 p.m. 

Before Berkley started singing, his longtime friend, Juan J. Morales, introduced the singer and the band. He spoke about his relationship with Jones and listening to the album for the first time. Morales met Jones at Colorado State University Pueblo, which was where Jones graduated.

“Thank you all for being here,” were Berkley’s first words at the microphone.

Berkley detailed the inspiration behind the album. He compared the album to the city and how he feels homesick when away from Pueblo for too long. He encouraged the audience never to be ashamed of where they come from.

Berkley opened with the song “Pueblo Nights,” which was the first song he wrote for the album. It was the song he wrote the quickest. He detailed the inspiration for the song coming from his youth and growing up in Pueblo. Berkely said his music expresses the feelings he wishes he had expressed in his past.

As the sun set, Berkley performed seven songs from the album, missing only two from the tracklist. His album was for sale on a physical vinyl record, which was on display for $29.99. The album cover details Berkley under a goalpost on a football field. Berkley revealed the photo was taken at Central High School, from which he graduated.

Berkely said he recently enjoys performing “Email” when asked about his favorite song from the album.

“It’s simple and satisfying to play with the band. It exorcises old demons and is a way to deal with bad memories,” Berkley said.

In between songs, Berkley talked about his memories growing up in the Steel City. He mentioned his job working at Tinseltown and his experience exploring the Colorado State Fairgrounds.

The last song Berkley performed was called “Fiesta Day,” paying homage to one of the town’s famous parades for the fair season, which recently concluded. 

Berkley detailed his journey coming back to Pueblo and his next performances to take place in Denver. 

“It’s worth it when you make something and share it with your people,” Berkley said.

Though his performance only lasted about an hour, Berkley was congratulated and greeted by many of the audience members who showed their support for the native musician.