Beer Review: Go Green

greenbeer1.jpgHey everyone, and welcome back to the weekly CSU-Pueblo beer review. My name’s Eric, I’m a senior in mass communications, and this week I was in the holiday spirit. Ah, St. Patrick’s Day, the national holiday of Ireland.

Originally a religious event to honor the late great Saint Patrick, who introduced Christianity to Ireland, in its later years it has become a massive celebration of everything Irish, from cuisine and culture to beer and bar room brawls.

And on this day, Green rules over all.

Have pity on the poor man who forgets his four leaf clover, his almost green sweater, or his “Kiss Me I’m Irish” pin, for he will spend the rest of his day avoiding pinches and punches from those who remembered their Irish pride.

To me, St. Patrick’s Day is all about the beer. I bet you’re real surprised to hear that. However instead of picking the obvious choice of Guinness to review, I decided to pay my respects to that one drink you can only get on this holiest of holidays, that savior of poor college students, the old reliable drama starter. Green keg beer.

When poured into your plastic party cup, green keg beer looks a lot like foamy lime
    Jell-O water, a lot like the kind your mom would make you drink when you were sick as a kid. The head ranges anywhere from non-existent to huge, depending on how sloppy drunk the person who gives it to you is.

Scent wise, its smells like you’re typical domestic pilsner, only with a slight hint of that “I’ve been tampered with” aroma that’s common in other strangely colored items like purple ketchup.

The flavor, to me, is the true selling point of green keg beer. If you go to a bar and order a green keg beer, you don’t know what you’re going to get. Is it Bud Light, Budweiser, Keystone Light, Natural Ice? Guesses are made, bets are put on the table, and conversation is at its peak! In truth, it doesn’t matter what it tastes like. As long as it’s green, everyone’s happy.

In summary, green keg beer is dirt cheap, it goes down like water, and it’s only available once a year. Those who enjoy the festive aspects of St. Patrick’s Day get to enjoy it all night long, while those who prefer the religious aspects of St. Patrick’s Day get to say “It serves you right” to all of the hung-over drunks the very next day. Everyone wins.
    Green keg beer gets a 5 out of 5.